Duel Housing Question

LakotaBeauty

Jun 28, 2011
Alright so here is my question, for the past year or so My Grey Squeakers has had his own cage, I recently got a Green wing Macaw that I LOVE LOVE LOVE he is a Woman's Bird Squeakers is 10 and Big boy (Still indecisive on a name he didn't have one he was a Breeder but has turned pure pet to me) is 12.... The cage I put my Macaw in is HUGE it is the one I use for my wildlife rehabbing, well at any rate I was left with a baby raccoon (Yay me...here we go again) A Friend has yet to return my crate to put her in the one I have is for kittens so I moved squeakers into my Macaw's cage with PLENTY of perches now I have noticed two behaviors A) the Macaw likes to be High, and Squeakers likes to be Low so I moved lower perches down for squeakers and left higher ones for the Macaw.... BOTH seem to be sharing food and water....I have seperate food dishes on EACH side and a seperate water bottle for each on each side.... B) the two constantly want to be near each other I have watched all day with no problem with either... the caging is supposed to be temporary But I had to work with what I have while I handle the raccoon so he went into Squeakers cage while I deal with him A) the Macaw cage is big and the Macaw ONLY goes in it at night and B) I can lock it....(If you have never dealt with raccoons locks are important...trust me) it has one way in one way out.... Squeakers seems to be pretty quiet at the moment no aggression it doesnt seem.....can the two be housed ok? anything I should watch for? I am out here with them watching closely

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
The do not recommend putting two birds in the same cage if you want them to remain pets. If they bond with each other, they may resent you. You really should bite the bullit and buy another cage.

But this is only my opinion. You can always try it out and see what happens.

OP
L

LakotaBeauty

Jun 28, 2011
Squeakers won't bond with another Bird the issue is I cant build another cage Im too sick to really do it, the only "Issue" the pair has is if he gets on Santiago's Perch and that's it then Santiago runs him off... I may try it out for now... so far they seem okay Santiago is bonded to me pretty heavily and always wants out Squeakers is a Loner (he came from a situation where he was left in a cage that was it) had already started plucking, I am hoping the move might be good for him as he was so attached to his cage you couldn't get him out thanks

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Is there anything disease wise, that you may have to worry about with housing the raccoon in your macaws cage? I assume you will clean it well before you put him back in it but will that really be enough? I have no idea here, I have never kept a raccoon before, it was just something I wondered about. Sorry I can't be of more help, the only birds I have ever kept together were a pair of 'tiels that were already bonded when I got them. I would just watch to make sure that your macaw doesn't try to injure squeakers and keep an eye out to make sure they are both eating and drinking well. Are you home most of the time? I don't know if I would leave them alone together unless you are absolutely sure that nothing is going to happen.

OP
L

LakotaBeauty

Jun 28, 2011
I don't work the only time I am gone is to Dr appointments (Macaw goes in his cage then) or groceries.. Most places wont hire me because I need a service dog, sanitizing after a raccoon is pretty easy, no diseases to be worried about but parasites, but I just wormed her... last year I had 6 I raised, one stayed with me until he was a year old then went off to find a mate.... I see him around but haven't seen his mate in awhile. People here have such a fear of Raccoons they kill on site, Most of these guys just want to be left alone. I am Native American so conservation of life is VERY important.... the Macaw (Santiago) and Squeakers are in the old Raccoon cage, it was disinfected the easiest way is to spray it with a gentle solution then let it bake in the sun. I left some of squeakers toys in there with "Meeka" she seems facinated, but she is at a point she can't survive on her own. Raccoons take a very special breed of person to raise though and truthfully are not for everyone, My family has done wildlife rehab since I was little Right down to birds of Prey, the ONLY animals we do kill on site here is opossums but I have horses.....that is to keep my horses safe from EPM. I have watched them the ONLY 'aggression' Santiago showed was when squeakers was on his perch he ran squeakers off it and was fine...squeakers and Santiago have been eating and drinking from their bottles just fine so far This is odd for me since Santiago is usually out of his cage with me but I want him in it so I can observe the interaction

OP
L

LakotaBeauty

Jun 28, 2011
I guess I am just a paranoid mama in a sense squeakers never leaves the cage, but Santi LOVES to (Mother in law named him lol I was going to call him Cheveyo or Keenu)

Most Reactions