Dumb things people ask when you have your bird in public?

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (ā™€ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (ā™‚ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (ā™€ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
I really dislike it when people ask about the captivity of the animal. I got asked one time ā€œDonā€™t you feel bad for putting it in a tiny cage?ā€, ā€œIt should be able to fly away whenever it wants to, how dare you cut its wingsā€, or ā€œIf I owned that bird I would set it free.ā€

I have come up with comebacks so sly towards people like this that they usually just walk away all angry but one woman who said ā€œIf I owned that bird I would set it free.ā€ got even more angry at me when I told her that setting it free would possibly be a death sentence. She asked me what would I know and how dare I argue with her and then she said ā€œI bought 20 cockatiels from a person and I set them all free up in Big Bear, I set them free right here in california and theyā€™re probably still alive.ā€

I just stood there in shock. I asked if the birds were all handfed and she said yes. Then I calmly told her ā€œHandfed birds means that the humans feed the birds with a syringe when they are a baby. The food and water has been supplied for those birds who knows for how many years till you bought them and set them free. They have to look for water and food now and if they donā€™t find it they starve or get dehydrated. Not to mention Big Bear is way too cold for cockatiels in the winter and it is not their natural habitat.ā€

She just stood there in shock, she was quiet and she didnā€™t cuss at me anymore or say anything. She got so startled by what I told her. It was not really a funny situation because I was angry at her, super angry because she literally tried to grab Tango, my jenday, from my shoulder so she could ā€˜set him freeā€™, thatā€™s how the whole fight started, she literally tried to steal Tango from me and when I caught her she told me she wouldā€™ve set him free. After that day I saw her in the pet store staring at the birds a lot. Iā€™m hoping she never bought one.

Gosh thatā€™s terrible. I would have been absolutely livid.

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Maverick(pattagonian conure)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
Blue(Indian Ringneck-Rest in peace)
Some people are just so uneducated about birds or think they know everything its sad. I remember that day too so clearly. I still see that lady sometimes but she always just ignores me

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Remember when I had 80 million budgies? Most of them were rescued from people saying ā€œness gone by Friday or Iā€™m going to let them looseā€ assuming they could survive in Hawaii. That sad part is that the bird surviving to live in the wild was NOT ideal because of all the damage they do to the local ecosystem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
ā€œI bought 20 cockatiels from a person and I set them all free up in Big Bear, I set them free right here in california and theyā€™re probably still alive.ā€

WOW confirmed! There is something in the water out there!:eek:

Or it has been proven..

Silicone valley does not make you smarter:22:

Jferrand526

Dec 29, 2017
Whittier,CA
Parrots
Tango(Jenday Conure)
Comet(pineapple GCC)
Maverick(pattagonian conure)
Hermin(Dusky Conure)
Ethan(Senegal Parrot)
Blue(Indian Ringneck-Rest in peace)
Isnā€™t releasing birds such as cockatiels, budgies, and other birds not originating from the US illegal? I thought releasing captive animals is illegal especially when they donā€™t belog in the ecosystem

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
Isnā€™t releasing birds such as cockatiels, budgies, humans and other birds not originating from the US illegal? I thought releasing captive animals is illegal especially when they donā€™t belong.

It should be!! :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Isnā€™t releasing birds such as cockatiels, budgies, and other birds not originating from the US illegal? I thought releasing captive animals is illegal especially when they donā€™t belog in the ecosystem

Yes, very! But so are neglecting, abusing, and killing them for sport and people still do those things as well :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions