Dye

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Jewels-peachface lovebird
Ivy- budgie
I bought Jewels a new toy a couple of days ago that she was some what scared of but she had started to warm up to it(I hadn't put it in her cage yet). So today after I finished cleaning her cage I decided that her favourite toy had to be thrown out, and while I was deciding where to put the new toy(my hands were wet)all the dye from it started to run on my hands and stained them. Is it safe to put the toy in her cage?or could the dye hurt her?

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Pretty much every time I clean the cage and Merlins toys some of the dye runs out, I just leave it till it's fully dry before giving it to him again. It's a pain but I don't think it is harmful, but I wait just to be on the safe side. :)

They're usually 'all natural' type dyes on bird toys arn't they? Couldn't you check for the specific toy on a website or something and see what they say about that one in particular? :)

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
The fact that it runs is pretty good evidence that it is safe. Durable dyes are more likely to be toxic.

OP
sssaucey

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Jewels-peachface lovebird
Ivy- budgie
Thanks now I don't have to throw a $20 toy in the garbage lol, and shes not to impressed that I threw out her fave toy haha

Most Reactions