Dying for another conure.

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
I just had to say that I am dying for another conure, or small parrot. I don't think the IRN is working out, but either way it's ok. I've called various shelters which are all way too far from me. And nothing is on Craigslist near me. I will just wait and maybe the one that is supposed to come to my house, will. :)

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
Aww poor red:( why isn't it working out? if you don't mind me asking?

OP
Lovelyloribeth

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
He is working out. I should rephrase that. He's not very social. He steps up. It don't stay. I'm not getting rid of him. No no no. I just want another social bird. Maybe a young one. Red is wonderful and we love him. I'm just looking to split my time between chichi and another bord which is what I planned to do with red. But he don't stay perched, or ride on my shoulder. So chichi just demands me all day lol. Anywho, just wanting another one that I can interact with. Keeping red no matter what. :)

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
You have more energy than I do! I don't think I could keep up with two of them!

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
O I thought you were gonna rehome him! I'm happy again:) lol I know how you feel thats how my budgie is. I've had her for about a year now its just her personality i guess? she's more of a bird bird not people bird haha she gets crazy when theres birds outside so im thinking of getting her a new birdy friend soon:)

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
i know what you mean. i want these 2 suns that are in my local Petco. friendliest sun conure babies i ever met. i adore them. they are such good friends, i think they should go to a home together. oooh if i had more money and space......i would add them to my family!! sigh

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Yeah, me too. I've been wanting to bring home another birdie, but I'm so (maybe overly) concerned that Pritti will get upset and hurt (he's been the one and only pet in our family for 30 years since babyhood). Equally, I'm concerned that he may get mad at a new bird and get rough or hurt it.

Any thoughts on what, if any, type / size / age bird would be good to bring in to our home?

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Ive been wanting some more budgies and some sunconures I saw at petco, there so cute!one of them is so play full but the price is ridiculous , 700$, I could get a baby conure that was weaned hand trained and tamed for only 300$. But my mom said no more pets in the house, sigh, guess you can't have everything.:greenyellow::orange:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Loribeth, sorry to hear our IRN was not quite was you were expecting! From all the reading that I've down, that sounds pretty typical behavior for the species. I have seen some cuddly IRN's, too, but usually not to the same degree as a conure. It's kind of like they are more sophisticated!!!!

WannaBeAParrot, I used to own an older cherry head (given to me as either a "red masked" or a "mit-red"), quite similar in appearance to Pritti except that he had health problems that I believe started with a ferret attack years before I got him. He was estimated to be 9-11 years old when he was given to me, although I suspect he was older than myself. Noel did bond with Casey, my first tiel (about 6 months old at the time). Well, more like Casey pushed herself into Noel's life, much to his discomfort! He was never your normal, typical conure by any standards.

Some years later, I adopted Charlie, a mitred (my-turd - given to me as a cherry head) conure from a couple who were 'fostering' him. He got along great with one of their lilac crowned amazons, although he was a single bird for 10 years of his life (from the sounds of it). Due to an incident, and his noise level (besides the green cheeks and the rosellas, he was the smallest bird in the house, and the loudest! the others were 3 amazons and two large macaws!), his foster parents wanted him to go to a home with another red head species and chose me. For years, I had wanted another cherry head in the hopes that my first could really learn how to be a bird again.

In short, they didn't get along. Oh sure, Noel, would imitate Charlie in whatever way he could, and Charlie wanted to preen Noel, but Charlie is also a bully. Except for colors, these two birds were complete opposites! Noel was in poor health, hated cats, couldn't fly and preferred the companionship of birds. Charlie is in great health, hates dogs, can fly and prefers the companionship of humans.

Any thoughts on what, if any, type / size / age bird would be good to bring in to our home?

^In short, there is no one right or wrong answer to this question. If you are lucky, Pritti will bond with the new bird and enjoy his or her company, regardless of age, sex or species. You might end up in a situation like mine where the two may copy each other but never actually get along... or you might end up with two birds who hate each other. There's no telling until you make that step and get another bird.

Being back down to one conure, I'd like to get a second! And twice now, I've been in a spot that I could have taken another conure, but it just didn't seem like a good time (right before moving, then right before having to buy another car that needed to be fixed up).

Most Reactions