Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Well that was just crazy! I live in Pennsylvania, and just felt an earthquake for the first time in my life! I didn't even know what was going on at first, "what the heck?! why's the room shaking?!" lol. Apparently it was felt all along the eastern border.

NovaBird

Aug 22, 2011
DFW, TX
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I have family in DC, Philadelphia and Charlotte and ALL just stated they felt it... Hope you and yours are all well!

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Odd.

I don't know if it could be related - but I was up all night last night with Auggie. When I tried to go to bed he kept giving these odd sounds - they were his angry/frustrated/painful sounds. I was worried so I went and checked on him, but everything seemed fine so I went back to bed. This happened several times before I took him out. He was acting really odd and "clingy" - I was so worried something was really wrong and I might not have much more time with him.

Eventually he calmed down and went to bed and I was able to get a few hours of sleep.

This morning everything was fine and completely back to normal ... then I read this.

All that craziness here last night was at the same time as the Colorado quake.

On another note it seems there was a different quake here on the east coast just a few minutes ago - centered in Virginia ~2pm eastern time but felt into Canada.

It seems there was also another yesterday afternoon in Ohio. Is our continent about to fly apart?!

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
My MIL felt it, we didn't we were on the deck. Just windows rattling.

@auggie, I talk to a lady on CO/NM border, she said last night her birds had what she thought were night frights @ the same time their earthquake happened.

birdmama61

Apr 13, 2011
I hope all is okay on the east coast I just talked to a girl who said they felt it here in Ohio and my birds were acting whacky last night so Im thinking animals can feel things before we can . wow really strange and now that hurricane Irene is coming up the east coast . strange weather and natural happenings really strange .

Angela19

Aug 9, 2011
New York
Parrots
Alexandrine "Mango"
Im in Long Island and I felt it...very strange feeling. On another stranger note, my dogs who know everything way before it happens ( they sense bad storms hrs ahead) slept right through it on my couch..! LOL

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
Apperentally it was felt all the way up to Canada but I didnt feel it here in Southern ME.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I was in the office building where I work in Columbia Md. At first It felt like someone very heavy was running through the building. We realized it was an earthquake. It seems as if we were paralyzed and did not leave the building like others did. It felt like the whole ravens team in the building. I got seriously nauseated which I later find it earthquake sickness. Home now and my cat is so stressed and the birds are very still in their cages. Wow I hope I never feel this again. Now we need to get ready for a hurricane.

Last edited:

echoskybound

Mar 30, 2011
Media
Parrots
Wheatley - 4 year old Green Cheek Conure
I'm in Baltimore County and all seems well, if there was any major destruction I haven't heard of it yet. We have big limestone mines nearby and thought that something had collapsed. My officemates were comically chill about it, they just said "Is that an earthquake? I think this is an earthquake" and just kept working while things were rattling all over the place, haha! Our office building is one floor, we just continued working.

One of my coworkers sent out an e-mail that made me think. He was asking if anybody knows how to find a map that graphs sinkholes and underground mines or caves. I never really thought about it, but it would be a great resource to know if your home is located near a mine. Has anybody heard of anything like that?

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
lol, the entire town of Beckley is built on mines. Most people around here probably felt the quake & thought it was vibration from the mines.

I did read on facebook that they were windows broken in office buildings & a Michaels. Is that close to you?

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
it was (as I'm sure everyone knows now) a 5.8-6.0 magnitude quake NE of Richmond VA. I felt it hard in NC, I'm just over the NC/VA line. Lucy came running over to my chair about 5 or 6 minutes before and kept sqwaking "MAMA! MAMA! MAMA! MAMA!" over and over before it happened, afterwards she was super calm and stayed close to me, which is pretty cool I think :) Considering she's been being a butt lately ;)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
No widespam damage reported in Md. on the news. They are looking now at the older buildings and bridges for damages to structures. 3 buildings so far are damages. The roads are a mess with people all trying to get home.

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
ooh, and hurricane Irene is about to blow up the NC coast so I'm wondering how she'll deal with that as well.

Munkys

Jul 1, 2011
CT
Parrots
Meiko, 9-year old Moustache
Felt it up here in CT too. I think I felt the one last night as well. I felt my couch shaking. Today, my t.v. was shaking like CRAZY tho. I thought it might fall off- had to go over and hold it just in case. Ironically enough, last night I thought it was the train that went by, and a train went by today right before it happened- but today it lasted WAY too long (like a solid 5-10 min) to be the train.

They evacuated people in all the old buildings in the cities around here. Probably a good idea- they're all like 200 years old, and something tells me not all of them have been properly kept up. This is crazy though- tornadoes, earthquakes, and now we have a major hurricane on the way. What's happening to the east coast and New England?! It used to be safe up here with the exception of the Nor' Easters...

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
Wow hope everyone is ok. Saw this on the news
Weve felt with a few earthquakes out here. But I'm on the west coast.
The problem is the east is located over cold rock over the plates as for the west is on hot rocks. Cold breaks and bridles as for hot molds. So what you experienced would have had relevancy to us experiencing a 7.0. pretty crazy. No major damage huh?

Most Reactions

Latest posts