Eastern Rosella taming

charlene

May 20, 2011
England UK
Parrots
Rosella parakeet
I have a large male eastern rosella he is more ringneck size, much larger than others ive seen. He loves chillies, peppers, apples and also has a parrot sead mix. I have a bird bath on the floor of his cadge he loves getting right inside his bath and getting water every where. We have had him about 6 months now he would arch his neck and realy peck hard if you went near him when we first got him. I started taking his food away waiting till he was hungry and hand feeding him. He isnt totally tame yet I can tickle his belly from behind and get him to take food out of my hand he doesnt go to peck any more, just moves away if you get too close. I let him out of his cage most days he is very fast and amazing to watch fly around. He also coppies whistles, and likes his cagde being put outside, and listening to dance music. I have a large smart perches in his cadge to keep his feet heakthy, he likes wooden toys and his mirror. If anyone has any tips or ideas to get him more tame would like the advice.:)

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Good luck with that. They are not really suitable as a companion parrot, however are very pretty to look at. Rosellas are not usually kept as pets in Australia but are kept in large aviary collections. Some bird keepers have all the sub species of Rosella.

Charlene just slowly keep trying, you never know what all your hard work will bring. There is always the exception rather than the rule.

OP
charlene

charlene

May 20, 2011
England UK
Parrots
Rosella parakeet
I think we might be getting some where he sat on my finger and my husbands hand last night, and got a fresh piece of chillie for a treat as a reward. think that he might be starting to get the message that we just want to be friends :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts