eating excessively/doesn't want to come out of cage!

Jollyjess80

Oct 23, 2012
Chico, CA
Parrots
Beeker: SI Eclectus,
Kianna: Grn Cheeked Conure
Hello y'all! So I just got Beeker, he is a SI Eclectus 4 months old. He's really sweet but has some weird behavior going on. So first off he's eating excessively, that's like all he wants to do, I'm not one for depriving my animals of food so I figure if he's full he'll stop eating. I give him veggies and fruit in the morning with a couple of harrisons pellets but he eats it till around 5 which is dinner time and I'll usually give him a new batch of it all. He's so attached to THIS food that he streaches out his neck and opens his beak like he's gonna bite (but doesn't) every time I put my hand near the bowl...he even makes this certine squak as he does this. so secondly, I will take Beeker out and he wants nothing to do with me, he will find any way to fly back to his stoop for food. And the other weird thing, I have another perch for him (besides the one atop his cage) and if I try and put him on that...you guessed it, he flys right to his cage. By the way this is his 3rd week with me. He also does that acting like he's going to bite thing when I try to get him to step up. I know he's still getting used to me so I've let him have his space and he still wants nothing to do with me :( and I took the bowl out today after he ate a good amount and he literally started scavenging the bottom of the cage for food. Beekers human needs help....HELP ME PLEASE!:rainbow1:

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
Has he seen a vet? When I first put Mango on Harrisons pellets he ate like that for about a week. He eats less now, but still way more than the recommended amount of pellets. Hes an African Red Belly, so hes small, and he eats anywhere from 12-20 pellets a day. The vet said its not a big deal, and try to give more veg. Mango eats a lot more than I expect him to, but he has been to the vet and fully tested to be fine in all aspects. He had never had pellets or veggies or fruit when I got him, and once he started on the pellets he went nutts for them. It has taken a while to get him on veggies, but the more veg he eats, the less pellets he eats. Im under the impression that eclectus need a lot more veg, are you sure hes getting enough? Also, how much is he actually eating? Mango only actually consumes about 2/3 of the pellet, the rest fall to the floor. He also shreds his veg and a lot of it ends up at the bottom of his cage. Its gross, but have a look on the bottom and see if your guy is actually consuming all of his food. If he hasnt seen a vet he may have a problem with his beak which could keep him from actually consuming all his food.

OP
J

Jollyjess80

Oct 23, 2012
Chico, CA
Parrots
We haven't taken him to the vet yet but we are def making an apt soon just to have a good look at him anyway ;) Funny that you said that about the veggies because he seems to hate them and loves fruit! he tosses out all the veggies, little rascal. He does seem to toss A LOT of it on the bottom of the cage...and on the sides of my wall...and the carpet haha. But I'm also concerned with how attached he is to eating and possessive he seems to get over it. He wants to be with his food ALL the time it seems :/ he, like your bird was not fed such a variety, maybe hes just super pumped on all the new food, thanks for your help I will def try and get him to like some more veggies :)

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
Eclectus love and thrive on fruits.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
diets

This is a list of most of the foods i feed my eclectus. Being only 4 months old this is normal behavior, your really need to supply soaked/sprouted seed mix to fill them up. Fruit & veg with a few pellets isn't enough for a growing boy.

OP
J

Jollyjess80

Oct 23, 2012
Chico, CA
Parrots
Thanks! I read that somewhere and am starting that!

Most Reactions