Eating seagrass mat?

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Has anyone ever ran into their BOF(bundle of feathers) eating the seagrass mat? I have no idea if JoJo is, but the evidence- He is passionate about shredding it, but nibbles, nibbles, nibbles. He has had it in his cage for 5 days. Since his pellet bowl was staying full, I assumed my daughter was topping it off, asked, and she hadn't been! So yesterday I placed a clean paper on the tray under the food bowel and last night there was some-little pellet debris.
Yes, he still eats outside the cage, loves his pellets, But! I removed the mat last night, He looks, sounds, poops as normal. Was eating pellets this morning, just no debris under bowl.
Or-maybe he was originally just messing, smashing pellets as something to do?

OP
Flboy

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Parrots
Update, just had my daughter put a new bowl of pellets, plain this time, and he dove into them!
By plain, my normal pellets are a mix of Zupreem fruit blend and Zupreem natural pellets. I just picked up some more Zupreem natural pellets and this is what she just gave to JoJo.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
My birds tear those mats apart. I need to get some more. First they chew off the toys I put on there and then they tear up the mats. It keeps my Severe Macaw busy for hours.

OP
Flboy

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Parrots
My birds tear those mats apart. I need to get some more. First they chew off the toys I put on there and then they tear up the mats. It keeps my Severe Macaw busy for hours.
You can get them super cheap from places like Old Time Pottery 12x12 squares sewn together into bigger mats, less than a buck apiece!

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I usually get them from MSBS but I don't really need an order from them today...I mean other than the mats but I'm sure that I can always buy something from them. :D
I will need another harness...so I guess I could buy that.

OP
Flboy

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Parrots
Bumping my question into the afternoon croud.
Any thoughts on a bird actually eating a seagrass mat, not just shredding it?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Most likely he's just shredding it... normally they don't. Doesn't mean they can't. It just means usually... they just don't.

Most Reactions

Latest posts