Eccy beak head butts

Raffie81

May 2, 2012
Hi there. My female eccy head buts her cage with her beak. She is a very tame bird. Someone too me she may need to breed. But someone else told me once she breeds she will always need to breed and she may not come back as tame as she is now. Will she be able to breed once. And will this help the beak head butts. Thanx

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
You shouldn't breed her for that reason. Breeding can be dangerous and has many risks. Also pet birds don't always fully understand bird behavior themselves(some even think they are people), and putting them into a breeding situation can be traumatic. There's a female Eclectus I know who chewed her mates lags off :(

Can you explain how she is bumping her head? Maybe some other people with eclectus has experienced something similar and can help.

OP
R

Raffie81

May 2, 2012
hey...thanx for that...i dont really wanna breed her so i thought id ask...i have posted a video to youtube of her head butting her cage... if u search raffie81 my videos will come up...if u only see 3 click on the wilson one and above that should pop up 4 video button...click that and it will show the noodles on....and responses will be welcome as to why she is doing this...

oh and ps...she does have toys to play with...she just likes to have them all on the floor...

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Birds aren't like mammals where they can just be studded out. Birds form strong bonds with their mates, it's not something you can just do once and then stop. Does she seem upset when she's doing it or is it maybe just something she likes to do? Maybe she likes the noise it makes? As long as she isn't injuring her beak or seemed stressed while she is doing it it shouldn't be that big of an issue. Our conure will tap his beak on his cage when he wants to get our attention.

OP
R

Raffie81

May 2, 2012
i dont think she is hurting herself...dont think she would do it for as long as she does if it was hurting to much... im just worried she will end up doing damage or hurting herself.... i dont know how to stop it or if i should....she bangs pretty hard..

caliopi

Jan 30, 2010
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot
King Parrot
Puffin does this too but it is usually after he has eaten and we think it is his way of cleaning his beak. Sometimes he just goes berserk and attacks everything but he is just playing as he is not upset or being cage aggressive as I can put my hand in and he happily steps up, I think it's just something they do.

Most Reactions