Echo's New Interest - My Mouth...

maillet

Sep 22, 2012
So... As of yesterday, my baby male Eclectus has grown a fascination with my mouth. He will purposely fly off any perch (human or solid) to land on my shoulder and simply stare at my mouth. It is actually quite hilarious.

Whenever I open my mouth wide to walk, he tries to dart his head right in to explore. He never bites (anyone in my family can handle freely). But, he simply seems to adore being inside my mouth lately (as funny it sounds)?

Anyone have any thoughts? I am not concerned, unless it is something I should be concerned about... At first, I figured he was wanting food :p

Other than that he is perfectly well trained (Step Up, Step Down, Fetch, Spin, Come, Wave, Wings Up, etc) after the four months I have had him.

lpolliard

Sep 1, 2012
Media
Mission Viejo CA
Parrots
Male Eclectus ~25 years old (rescue)
Careful...the bacteria in your mouth is harmful to our avian friends.

Chico will snuggle up close to my mount when stressed. Especially in low light situations outdoors.

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
I 2nd what polliard said. Our healthy bacteria in our mouth is very harmful to parrots. So parrots should not be in our mouth no teeth picking or wet smooches

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
Yes, don't let her inside your mouth. But kisses on the beak are fine. And she can stare all she wants! My girl tries to get in my mouth when I'm eating, and if I let her, she would eat the food I'm chewing on!

njgray21

Aug 11, 2012
Central Texas
Parrots
No parrots yet but I have two rescued German Shepherds
Yes, don't let her inside your mouth. But kisses on the beak are fine. And she can stare all she wants! My girl tries to get in my mouth when I'm eating, and if I let her, she would eat the food I'm chewing on!

That's funny, gross and cute all at the same time!! Haha

OP
M

maillet

Sep 22, 2012
Yup, I have not been letting him physically inside. Just thought it was hilarious that he continues to try. Also he is young, so was wondering if anyone else had seen this.

coral3

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
Parrots
'Ringo' - alexandrine, hatched 2012 ~ 'Prinny' - princess parrot, 1992-2012 RIP
My princess would dart her head into my mouth if I yawned. She just wanted a look-see I think, it was kind of like "Ooh, what's in THERE!?" lol She would never try to clean my teeth or anything, just look. And she was QUICK - the second the opportunity presented itself she'd dart her little head in. Man I miss that bird. :(

Most Reactions