Eclectus. Black broken feathers.

Natalia M

Nov 5, 2023
Parrots
Eclectus
Hello. My eclectus is 1.5 years old. His feathers turn black and break. the feathers were breaking before the moult and also started to break after the moult. The feathers on the tail also break. What could be the reason?
IMG_5570.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5572.jpeg
    IMG_5572.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 16

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
Stress, illness, diet/deficiency would be top reasons. What is his diet?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello. My eclectus is 1.5 years old. His feathers turn black and break. the feathers were breaking before the moult and also started to break after the moult. The feathers on the tail also break. What could be the reason?View attachment 55808
I most definitely have him evaluated by a certified avian vet. His plumage doesn't look very healthy. It may be a dietary issue but only an experienced avian vet can say for sure.

OP
N

Natalia M

Nov 5, 2023
Parrots
Eclectus
Diet:

1. Fresh fruits and vegetables, berries. Most often, apple, passion fruit, kiwi, pomegranate, banana.
2. Greens (he almost never eats them)
3. Frozen mixture, which I prepare once every three months. It consists of corn, carrots, green peas, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, grape, broccoli, carrots, rice, rice pasta, quinoa, lentils, beans, couscous, mung beans, chickpeas (he doesn't eat all of it)
4. Nutribird pallets.
5. Nutribird grain.
6. Almonds, pine nuts.
7. Sprouted lentils, mung beans, chickpeas.
8. Dried worms (sometimes)
9. Eggs (2-3 times a month)
Could there be a problem in the liver? A year ago I gave him a lot of medicine. After treatment, we did a CT scan, which showed an enlarged liver.
Our doctors had no experience with eclectus.

The tail was more damaged before molting.

Attachments

• IMG_3130.jpeg
    IMG_3130.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 20
  • page0.jpeg
    page0.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4511.jpeg
    IMG_4511.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4586.jpeg
    IMG_4586.jpeg
    385.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5628.jpeg
    IMG_5628.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5627.jpeg
    IMG_5627.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0934.jpeg
    IMG_0934.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0508.jpeg
    IMG_0508.jpeg
    400.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Silly question, but How sure are you about the age? Black on the beak should generally be gone by 12 months.

His overall appearance to me is more of a juvenile Who hasn’t molted yet. Which begs the question: you mentioned his molt, how long ago was that? And was it a full molt of all feathers?

Did you have bloodwork done?

OP
N

Natalia M

Nov 5, 2023
Parrots
Eclectus
Silly question, but How sure are you about the age? Black on the beak should generally be gone by 12 months.

His overall appearance to me is more of a juvenile Who hasn’t molted yet. Which begs the question: you mentioned his molt, how long ago was that? And was it a full molt of all feathers?

Sorry for delay. Yes, I’m sure. He was born at 4.06.22. And he still has a black beck.

There was a complete moult in the summer.

Could the problem be due to calcium deficiency or liver problems?

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Sorry for delay. Yes, I’m sure. He was born at 4.06.22. And he still has a black beck.

There was a complete moult in the summer.

Could the problem be due to calcium deficiency or liver problems?
I kinda doubt it in a bird so young because deficiencies take time to manifest and liver problems take time to develop and his diet looks great. Perhaps an avian vet can run some more tests.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

I fully agree with my good friend Chris as I am not seeing what I would consider an Adult! And based on that assumption, I seeing tail feathers that look like cage damage, which is common with younger Parrots!

OP
N

Natalia M

Nov 5, 2023
Parrots
Eclectus
WHEN he was 4-6 months old, he constantly stomped his feet and twitched his wings. He also sneezed frequently (up to 50 times a night) and he had a big sore on his eye.

I visited 12 doctors. We passed dozens of tests. The results were normaly, but his stomach was enlarged on X-ray. Doctors had different assumptions. Also we found Enterococcus and Klebsiella. But no one knew what the problem was, because the symptoms were related to something else.

Some doctors thought it was PDD virus or some other. One doctor prescribed antibiotics and painkillers. I gave them for several months. During treatment, a problem with feathers began.

Then I read that toe tapping is the norm for eclectus and stopped treatment. All symptoms disappeared after some time.

We did a CT scan. Some doctors said that he had problems with his liver, other doctors said that there were no problems. That's why I still don't know what's wrong with him. Maybe the problem is in the diet and he is missing something. Or is it the consequences of treatment.

Last edited:

mish22

Jul 9, 2013
Media
Hello. My eclectus is 1.5 years old. His feathers turn black and break. the feathers were breaking before the moult and also started to break after the moult. The feathers on the tail also break. What could be the reason?View attachment 55808
Hi what are you feeding him . Make sure it is no seeds . Try to get him to eat harrisons its the best food maid by a avaian vet . The black beak concerns me .. I would take him to your local Avaian vet . I adopted my Elmo after my sonny passed broke my heart and its not bad the visit was 69.00 and that was with the nail trim and beek , and i did a basic blood work CBC that will check the liver everything . He looks like his nails need a trim .. The black in the feathers is actually the color not comming out and that is from diet normally .. so get to a vet asap.. let me know .. good luck hope he is well.. michele

OP
N

Natalia M

Nov 5, 2023
Parrots
Eclectus
Hi what are you feeding him . Make sure it is no seeds . Try to get him to eat harrisons its the best food maid by a avaian vet . The black beak concerns me .. I would take him to your local Avaian vet . I adopted my Elmo after my sonny passed broke my heart and its not bad the visit was 69.00 and that was with the nail trim and beek , and i did a basic blood work CBC that will check the liver everything . He looks like his nails need a trim .. The black in the feathers is actually the color not comming out and that is from diet normally .. so get to a vet asap.. let me know .. good luck hope he is well.. michele
Thanks for the answer. We live in Cyprus now. There is no harrisons food here.

Above I wrote about his feeding diet

mish22

Jul 9, 2013
Media
Diet:

1. Fresh fruits and vegetables, berries. Most often, apple, passion fruit, kiwi, pomegranate, banana.
2. Greens (he almost never eats them)
3. Frozen mixture, which I prepare once every three months. It consists of corn, carrots, green peas, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, grape, broccoli, carrots, rice, rice pasta, quinoa, lentils, beans, couscous, mung beans, chickpeas (he doesn't eat all of it)
4. Nutribird pallets.
5. Nutribird grain.
6. Almonds, pine nuts.
7. Sprouted lentils, mung beans, chickpeas.
8. Dried worms (sometimes)
9. Eggs (2-3 times a month)
Could there be a problem in the liver? A year ago I gave him a lot of medicine. After treatment, we did a CT scan, which showed an enlarged liver.
Our doctors had no experience with eclectus.

The tail was more damaged before molting.
So i was told give them very little fruit there is to much sugar in it . or make sure its not ripe there top feeders in the wild and dont get ripe fruit . do you freeze that chop
? may be that is why my guy does not like his vegies except frozen ones he loves corn , chick peas , navy beans , chicken , pasta

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
Harrison's does not deliver to Cyprus. Even through Amazon. What other good food is there for eclectus?
I recently discovered Ubuy. I expect that they will deliver to you. I am currently waiting for my own order of Harrison's.

At this time I cannot recommend this company, as this will be my first order with them.

Most Reactions