ECLECTUS

Loverush07

Nov 15, 2023
Parrots
Mazdalover2014
We recently lost our African Grey and our house just isn't the same without her talking and singing all the time. We miss her so much. I have been looking for adoptable birds and have found that there are SO many scammers out there. I did find one in my home state and it is an Eclectus which I do not know much about and was hoping that you guys can give me some advice on this. The videos I am watching about the Eclectus parrots seem to me to be quite a bit different than Greys in so many ways. I am still looking for one to adopt and will be for some time. Is there any reputable places that are not scammers out there? I would appreciate any information on either subject. Thank you all

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sorry for your loss! Grey's are such special Parrots and replacing that void, will not be easy with just any Parrot. I would strongly recommend that you allow the mid to large Parrot to choose you!! They are much better at it and having them choose is more than half way toward developing a new trust bond!

Eclectus are very different from other mid to large Parrots as their Natural Range seriously lack common Minerals and Vitamins that are required for good health and as a result with the high levels of those requiresments found in near all seed and pellet diets they can easily become over loaded with them and have physical problems. Also, even Avian vets are not current on their requirements. As a result the owner has to dig deep for information regarding them. Parrot Forums have several members that are owned by Eclectus and we have a Forum for them. I strongly recommend you read the Threads in that forum.

The scammers are a serious issue and thank you for noting that reality.

Since you seem reluctant to provide a general location, there is little way to provide recommendations as they change greatly depending on where in this huge World you live. The basics would be your area Avian Vet or large animal (farm) vet, as they likely know who considering shifting ownership. Also, your area Rescue and Avian Pet Store.

Last edited:

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Yes greys are special 🙏🏼 I’m so sorry for your loss. I agree with Mr Boats. Locate some rescues and allow the bird to pick you after a few visits. I applaud your heart to have another parrot. It’s hard to overcome such a loss but another feathered friend will ease it a bit. It has for me.

OP
Loverush07

Loverush07

Nov 15, 2023
Parrots
Mazdalover2014
I'm sorry, I should've posted my area. I live in Elkins WV and finding a place to adopt a bird or even buy one are few and far between. And thank you for the kind words.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yes, I understand that area is a near wasteland when it comes to Parrot support, let alone sale. I am in the mid-west and have zero contacts in your area. It would seem that Washington DC area may have something.

It would be my guess that starting first to finding Avian Medical care will support your search.

Most Reactions

Latest posts