Eclectuses vs Quakers

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
For over a year I've been reading about both breeds and I'm really stuck on which one I think would be best for me. I don't plan on getting one anytime soon (job situation atm) but still enjoying reading as much as I can.

I know both breeds are incredibly intelligent, and good talkers. They can both learn tricks and are good family birds. From what I've read Eclectuses seem to be more calm than Quakers (if I get an Eclectus I definitely want a male). Obviously Eclectuses are more expensive than Quakers which may or may not impact a final decision.

I live in Canada but if I was ever transferred jobs to the US I know there's a few states where Quakers are prohibited.

I've never owned any birds before and understand the lifelong commitment.

They're both too cute! If anyone has had Quakers it would be nice to hear what you think of both breeds. :green2:

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
haha i know what you mean. I almost got a quaker instead of pickle, there were four dusty light blue coloured ones that i was absolutely in love, but the timing was all wrong, and when we were finally ready for a bird, pickle was there and it was perfect. :D

If i ever did get another smaller bird, later in my life (after pickle) id be tossing up between a quaker or conure. :3

Last edited:

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
I would Love a Quaker but the state in Australia I live in they are illegal. :( If I ever move to the eastern states of Australia. I would be getting one.

I love my Ecky to bits, he loves kisses and being in my face but doesn't like scratches or cuddles. I'm not sure what a Quaker is like, a family member has one and i know its a little mischievous. :)

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
The only reason I ever started looking at other types of parrots was because of the possibility of moving to California "some day". Price wise I can get a Quaker here for $450 from a breeder, and $1700 for the Eclectus. So like I mentioned, price will probably end up dictating. Both breeds look wonderful!

It's hard to know where you'll be in 20 years and I couldn't stand having to give up my bird if I did indeed have to move to California.

I will keep thinking!

Mz.Fitz

Dec 2, 2012
For over a year I've been reading about both breeds and I'm really stuck on which one I think would be best for me. I don't plan on getting one anytime soon (job situation atm) but still enjoying reading as much as I can.

I know both breeds are incredibly intelligent, and good talkers. They can both learn tricks and are good family birds. From what I've read Eclectuses seem to be more calm than Quakers (if I get an Eclectus I definitely want a male). Obviously Eclectuses are more expensive than Quakers which may or may not impact a final decision.

I live in Canada but if I was ever transferred jobs to the US I know there's a few states where Quakers are prohibited.

I've never owned any birds before and understand the lifelong commitment.

They're both too cute! If anyone has had Quakers it would be nice to hear what you think of both breeds. :green2:
I have both, a Quaker and an Eclectus (male). They are two very different birds. The Ekkie is much quieter than the Quaker, although he has a scream that will shatter windows. The Quaker just chatters a lot. Asa, the Quaker will be more likely to entertain himself with toys and foraging than Toby, the Ekkie. That may be from their unknown backgrounds though. The Quaker is much friendlier, he likes to snuggle and will give kisses. He loves to hop on my finger and ride around the house as I do chores. The Ekkie will not step up at all, and will bite if I try to get him to step up. Both are great conversationalists, and have large vocabularies. Both are rescued birds and I love them both, as much as for their differences as their personalities.

Most Reactions