EEKK!! My birds are too horny!

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
Just days ago I took the babies from them and they are already mating again! I know they are young but dayum! What should I do??? I was hoping this wouldn't happen, but it has! Breaking it up wont work (I like having my fingers attached) and they are very - prolific! HELP!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
If you really want her to take a break from egg laying the only thing you can do it seperate them, another option is to remove the eggs when she lays them, Have you removed the nest box, if not then get that off there asap. Unfortuneately these fids don't listen to us when we say no more mating. Sorry this is a bit rushed but I'm on my way out the door, I'll be back in a few mins.

OP
indigo

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
If I remove any eggs then there is a good chance they will keep laying (I have heard of this happening). They started mating the morning after I removed the nest box.

lol ... Just looked over at them and they are having a birdie romantic moment ... they are sharing a clothes peg to chew on ... awwww, how sweet.... I am so glad our idea of romance is not the same as theirs lol.

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
I think your birds are very determined to make you a professional breeder! :D

Well even if you have removed their nest, now it's a bit late I think, since they are mating the eggs should be on their way... :D

Try removing them as soon as she lays them and the nest box at the same moment..

and as Peta said put them close but in different cages for some time.(If I got it right, Peta that's what you said?)

OP
indigo

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
No kidding. If they keep up like this I will have a near constant stream of baby birds lol. Anyone want one??? lol

One thing that's really good is that they are very very attentive. I have no worries that they won't be able to handle it. It ME I am worried about!! lol

They do make very very purdy birdies. Jade and Tango are both dutch blue's but with different factors (not sure exactly what yet). If they have any babies that look like momma, then they too will be purdy. First and foremost is their health; physical, emotionally and mental.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
First and foremost is their health; physical, emotionally and mental.

I hear ya there, and yep they do make very pretty babies, but they also need a break, the problem is trying to tell them that. :D Yeah if you remove the eggs then there is a chance that they will keep on laying, but theres also a chance they won't. I've heard a lot of people say they let their lovvies have 2 clutches and then split them up, purely to stop them mating. What you have to watch for when splitting them up is their stress levels, (When I split Gemini and Leo up, thats the time my beautiful fully feathered tiel became my beautiful and bald tiel. That was the first time he plucked and he's never stopped since.) I wish I could give you some 100% advice that would work all ways.

OP
indigo

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
They were separated for one night (the first night the babies were in their own cage Pix stayed with them) ... in the morning (I'm talking 5am) after he gave the babies an early breakfast I let him go back to Serenity and they clung to each other. Literally clung - foot on foot on the perch. Before they slept (when parted) THEY cried and cried to each other, pressed up to the cage side closest to the other and were just inches apart ... the babies were hunky dory mind you lol. The last thing I want to happen is for them to pluck or develop other anxieties. I'd rather they be happy and have babies than to be miserable and depressed. Right now they need to wean jade and tango, which is moving along quite well btw, and in a bit if she looks with-egg I will give her her box (she makes a great nest in about 2 days with the right stuff provided - string, cotton balls, paper, their own down, tissues etc). Last time she was at the vet I was told she was a very very healthy bird, so I know she is in really good physical shape (although they all need to go in sooner than later but first comes finding a damn job).

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Have to say I don't think I'd be too happy about seperating Lovvies, they just seem to belong together. Maybe you could convince serenity she has a headache. :D

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Have to say I don't think I'd be too happy about seperating Lovvies, they just seem to belong together.

I agree with you Peta! Lovies just seem inseparable! :)

Maybe you could convince serenity she has a headache.

Or get them some birdy condoms... :D (Can you think of that? :18:)

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
so are you keeping jade and tango? Sounds like it might be time to invest in a flight cage/aviary for the future family :)

OP
indigo

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
I am keeping Jade and Tango, but I'm not getting any flights yet. Within the year I plan on moving to California, and when I do so I will get new cages for them there (most likely) and sell the ones I am using here (or have my mother sell them for me).

Most Reactions

Latest posts