Aug 31, 2012
Media
Nashville, TN
Parrots
Queequeg (rescued BFA, 34)
Winston (rescued CAG, 25)
Cyrus (adopted GCC, 2)
Houdini, Peeper, and Little Blue--the Budgie Trio
We gave my two budgies (male and female, twins actually) a nest box so the kids could see if they would lay eggs. Obviously we are not looking for a strong genetic strain here. BUT that notwithstanding: they LOVE the nest box. The female has laid two eggs, and both have broken in the box. The one I found today looked as though one of the budgies had pecked a hole in it. Is that possible/common? And could you tell me what to look for to know whether the egg was fertilized? And should I just take the box out, even though they love it, to discourage further egg laying? Thanks for all advice!:greenyellow:

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Did you mean actual brother and sister from the same paront birds? If you do I would take the nest box out and not let them breed any genetic defect would be magnified. I would think if you are going to breed birds you should know a lot about the birds lines as you would if you were going to breed cats or dogs or whatever.

Erinsmom

Sep 27, 2012
Northern Colorado USA
Parrots
Right now I have 2 adult tiels Annie and Frosty and their two off spring Penelope and riley
TWINS?? YES take the box out and do everything you can to avoid them breeding. The results could be cruel and disastrous.

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
Just like humans, siblings of any animal species should never be encouraged to mate! It can cause serious genetic defects in the offspring. Please take the nest box out. It is also important to make sure the female has sufficient calcium in her diet to replace the calcium that was used to produce the eggs. If she becomes a chronic egg-layer even without the nestbox, use the tips given from this website: Chronic Egg Laying
You may also have to separate the budgies if you see them mating.

Most Reactions