Electrical shock

MamaFuzz

Oct 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
Parrots
GCC - Chico
Senegal - Indy
Poor Chico. I should have been more careful. I came home and let the birds out like normal. Chico wanted my attention so I brought my hand up and then it happened. ZAP!!!! One of the biggest static electrical shocks I've experienced in a long time and Chico's beak was on the other side of it. I've been having static issues lately and I never thought I'd shock one of my birds especially since touching the cage first should take care of it. Needless to say Chico squawked and flew away. That shock hurt. I can only imagine what he felt. It took a while before he would attempt coming near my hand again. Shoulders were ok since they came with kisses. I am so glad it didn't cause any lasting trust issues. Has anyone else had something like this happen?

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
My boyfriend shocks me pretty frequently, and the results are usually be being flinchy whenever he moves toward me for a short period of time afterwards.. it's hilarious because people give him dirty looks like he beats me!! Haha nooope I just don't like the little shocks..

I haven't had it happen to my birdies though. I imagine that would be pretty confusing.:(

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
My mother was regularly shocking Ivory for awhile. She would squawk before the shock even came after a couple of them. They started adding more humidity to the air to help with the static and Ivory hasn't been shocked for a while now.

critterman

Jan 1, 2011
Maryland
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure.
MamaFuzz so sorry this is happening to you and poor little Chico. Have you asked your Dr or maybe your avian vet if there is anything you can do to prevent it from happening again. I would be worried if it happens again poor Chico might not want to come to you again. Sorry. Hope it stops.

JennyB

Mar 27, 2013
Northern Utah
Parrots
Cockatiel - Sunshine - 1990-2014; YSGC Conure - Jellybean - 11 months; Turquoise GC Conure - Jasper - Hatched 1/14
Good idea about the humidifier. I'll have to remember that if it ever becomes a problem here! :( Ow!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I am a static magnet, I try to discharge it by touching metal but I still shock my dogs and husband. I haven't shocked the birds yet because I do try to make sure I am static free before touching them. A few weeks ago I went to kiss my husband and there was actually a blue spark we both saw and our lips could still feel where it happen a half hour later, my husband has been touching my nose, top of my head or some where else to avoid that kind of lip pain again. LOL!!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I've done the exact same thing with Sammie. She gave me a hurt look for the rest of the day. Like you, I now touch the cage before picking her up.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I am a static magnet, I try to discharge it by touching metal but I still shock my dogs and husband. I haven't shocked the birds yet because I do try to make sure I am static free before touching them. A few weeks ago I went to kiss my husband and there was actually a blue spark we both saw and our lips could still feel where it happen a half hour later, my husband has been touching my nose, top of my head or some where else to avoid that kind of lip pain again. LOL!!

Now there's the true meaning of "Sparks were flying".....sorry, just couldn't resist.

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
I did that last winter to my Senegal Sidney. He really squealed and started rocking back and forth and smacking my hand with his beak. I felt really bad but he forgave me soon enough.

Then again just about a week ago, I zapped my old girl Tootsie. And the worst part was that I was in the act of handing her a treat and the shock came from the treat to her beak. And boy did she make a RUCKUS about it then ran away from me. Again, I felt awful. Especially since she is an old lady now and sensitive about things. I thought I had grounded myself because I make it a point to put my hand on a cage before I touch them. But that nut was all charged up and got her.

I keep a humidifier running 24/7 and sometimes boil pots of water if needed but that was a very dry day. I think just walking charged me up cause I was getting zapped on everything and I felt my hair sticking up more than once. I'll be so glad when this winter is over and things warm and moisten up.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Oh so sorry to hear that! It happens to me and Parry all the time, but on a minor scale. He just shakes his head and keeps doing what he did. I have to be more careful after reading this.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I did this to Avery not too long ago... I am ridiculously staticky all the time! No idea why... the air here right now is pretty dry though. I asked her to step up for me, and when she beaked me to grab on I shocked her pretty bad. She went on an angry chattering rampage and smacked her beak against me a few times and was mad at me for a few minutes - and as much as I hate to admit it, it was ridiculously adorable :D

I do have a humidifier going all the time too, so I'm not sure why I'm so bad for static. But now I just make sure to shock my boyfriend or touch metal before I ask her to step up :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I've shocked Charlie a few times. Wasn't any major shocks though, just minor ones! And he would stop and look as if to say "What just happened?"

Most Reactions

Latest posts