Elvis is smart and a pain

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
I love Elvis, but I wish he never learned to open his cage door. He opened it last night and when I woke up this morning I spent an hour looking for him. I decided to stop the search and feed my other birds. As I was feeding Jordan, Elvis flew on to my shoulder. He was missing SIX flight feathers on one wing, so I clipped his other wing so it would be even and he wouldn't hurt himself trying to fly. The thing is, I had 2 paper clips on that door, he took those off and opened the door. Is there anything I can use to secure that door?
I don't want him to escape again. He might hurt himself if keeps getting out during the night.
Luckily this was just a couple flight feathers missing. But it might be more serious if he gets out again during the night, birds can't see in the dark,even with the lights dimmed.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
As a quick measure a D/Quick Link might do the trick?

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
This happened to my two tiels once, got up at 1 in the morning to hear some flapping and the birds were out of their cage, had been out for HOURS. And we have two cats also. Ugh...no one was hurt, thankfully, and so what I did to keep the door closed was used one of my hair ties tied at the top to keep it secure. It did the trick, they couldn't figure it out and never got out again.

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Mumble Quaker, hatched 5/25/16
Maybe a binder clip or a couple of them? Nothing tricky about that, it's just way too strong for the bird to undo. Or if that won't work, maybe weight the door so the bird can't lift it, or maybe you can get some chain from a hardware store to secure the door. Hard to say what you might be able to do without seeing the door in question of course. The bird shop where I got my tiel had tiny padlocks they would put on the cage doors! Seems like keeping track of the little keys would be a pain but I'm sure over the years they must have got tired of birds getting out and put an end to that, lol

OP
ParrotLover2001

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
Maybe a binder clip or a couple of them? Nothing tricky about that, it's just way too strong for the bird to undo. Or if that won't work, maybe weight the door so the bird can't lift it, or maybe you can get some chain from a hardware store to secure the door. Hard to say what you might be able to do without seeing the door in question of course. The bird shop where I got my tiel had tiny padlocks they would put on the cage doors! Seems like keeping track of the little keys would be a pain but I'm sure over the years they must have got tired of birds getting out and put an end to that, lol

Here's the door.

Closed.
d3b90b04ae47bd3ba0ca44d9d2963e55.jpg

Open.
a2dd1fc1a441e8aa26044b1434d69502.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Most Reactions