Would this work for a tiel and if it's under direct sunlight in Florida??

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
I have to move out of the house I'm living in ASAP and am trying to find a condo... I found condos I like (it's on the 2nd floor)... and it has a balcony...but the balcony is NOT screened in unfortunately nor does it have shade.

... so I was hoping to buy a double door aviary to avoid accidental escapes. I work from home and I literally CANNOT get ANY work done unless I put 'Nut outside (just while I work for a few hrs during the day).

It gets extremely hot and disgustingly muggy/humid in Florida. Do you think it would be SAFE for me to keep my tiels in the below type aviary outside while I work during the day if my balcony has NO shade at all?? This aviary has a roof... but I don't know if that's enough...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMFTFE...t=&hvlocphy=9012031&hvtargid=pla-274778780058

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I feel your pain about working from home and the noise, I'm in Pennsylvania so I have no options for at least 4-5 months a year.

That is a very nice aviary, and while it would provide shade from the direct Florida sun (though you'd have to factor in how much the roof of this aviary would absorb sun and actually heat up), and I'm sure they would always have water available, it will provide no protection from the Florida heat and humidity at all. I don't know if it would be safe for your bird's to be out on an uncovered balcony in this or not.

Even if you remove the possibility that the roof may actually absorb the sun and literally "cook" your bird's from the inside out like an oven, I'm not so certain just having your bird's outside in that heat and humidity for hours at a time would be OK by itself. I think you would have to bring them inside periodically to cool down in the air conditioning so that they did not suffer from heat exhaustion. Humidity is tough on a cockatiel I would think, if it has no way to take a break from it.

So if that roof sits on an uncovered balcony and absorbs the sun, and your birds are locked inside it, under that roof that is getting more and more hot, it could very well act like an oven. Add the humidity in and I'm not sure I'd be willing to risk that. In fact, now that I think about it, I personally wouldn't risk it.

Maybe you should talk to an avian vet that is familiar with the Florida heat and humidity, show him the aviary structure and what materials it is made out of, and maybe he could better help you.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Honestly that looks excellent to me, particularly because it has a roof which would provide shade. I would make sure that there are purchased high enough up that the birds can get in the shade it no matter what the angle of the sun, I would also suggest finding a good safe source of branches of leafy green sorts that can provide additional shade and I would soak those in water before putting them in the aviary. Basically I would make sure there's always shade available, and always moist you're available. I would do things like freezing leaves or pieces of fruit if they eat those into ice cubes and putting them in the water dishes. I would also suggest making sure that there is water that stays in the shade at all times, not in the sun. I also would make sure our dishes big enough to be then, and I would consider investing in a misting hose such as they sell for gardens so that you could turn on a cool mist which would not only help to keep the temperature down, but would also encourage bathing and preening in the sun which would ultimately be the best thing you can do as far as getting your birds the best amounts of vitamin D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Remember, you can easily rig a primary roof over the existing one, using a tarp, or, even better, one of those survival blankets that are highly reflective!
They are dirt cheap! I carried one for 18 years and the day we were mountain hiking, backpacking an infant, we got caught in subfreezing temps and an ice storm(August)!
It saved our daughter's life!
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...=survival+blanket&rh=i:aps,k:survival+blanket

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Thanks for all the responses and great ideas so far.

I know that when it's so hot and EXTREMELY muggy/humid in Florida I am almost DYING even when I'm in the shade! The heat... mostly the SEVERE humidity in combination the heat just suffocates me. It's unbearable.... I did literally feel like I was cooking from the inside out.. even when sitting in the shade!! :(

I recall when I was in Arizona a few yrs ago it was well over 100+ degrees outside but it was soooo pleasant and very comfortable! It's not the heat but rather the EXTREME humidity in Florida that makes it horrific.

Rascal is not a problem at all... but 'Nut REALLY needs to be outside for at least few hrs a day or I CANNOT make ANY business related phone calls!

I know someone who has an outside aviary. He has about 2 dozen tiels and one lovebird and they live in the ouside aviary here in florida... but his aviary has lots of trees an shade.... I won't have that :(

I would put a big bird bath in it though so they can cool down.... also spray them often... I might have to put them out for one hour??... then bring them in for a while then put them out.... and so forth...

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
... It's not the heat but rather the EXTREME humidity in Florida that makes it horrific.

A Central Florida secret, low humidity! Right now? 32%, average summer day? 68%!
Drive east, west, or north the humidity climbs!

The problem is that many people focus on humidity percentage... that tells you nothing asides for the humidity relative to temperature.

What you really and ONLY should be looking at is the DEW POINT. That tells the REAL story. A dew point above 60 is considered to be humid... there is a HUGE difference between a dew point of 60 and 63. Dew point of 60 will be very comfortable but 63 is humid and you will feel it!... Often the dew point in south FL is in the upper 70s... that is CRAZY humid! :(

95% humidity will feel very comfortable and dry so long as the dew point is BELOW 60. It drives me crazy when people focus on humidity percentage as it's the dew point that shows the REAL humidity. :) ... not the humidity percentage.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Oh wait a second! Don't know why I didn't think of this before but what if I get one of those big fans? I know when I used to ride horses the stable had a huge fan and that helped.

... you think that would help a LOT??

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
If you are going to put them out, consider the time of day. Which direction does your patio face? Consider that. Just because there is "no shade" doesn't mean they will be in directvsun. But also consider that even with shade, no one wants to be outside in the heat of the afternoon on a west facing patio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Wow! would love to get this aviary! It doesn't have a roof though and it's way too big to fit on a condo balcony... one day I will get huge aviary for 'Nut...

68r595.jpg

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
How on earth do people use these types of aviaries in an outdoor setting? It doesn't even have a double door system... so how do they prevent their birds from accidentally escaping when they open the aviary door to retreive the bird??

https://www.wayfair.com/K9-Kennel-8-Sided-Bird-Aviary-KNPR1078.html

Easy, they screw up, bird dies! But someone made $$$

LOL... I see. That's no good then! I can't imagine why on earth they would make aviaries like that with NO option to use a double door system??? I mean, if I wanted to buy that aviary but wanted to make it SAFE I would not be able to?? :mad:

EDIT: Actually, I THINK that might come with a separate "piece" that you have to pay extra for which would turn it into a double entry safe aviary...

I cannot keep staring at the white aviary in one of my posts in this thread...'Nut would LOVE that aviary!!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
How on earth do people use these types of aviaries in an outdoor setting? It doesn't even have a double door system... so how do they prevent their birds from accidentally escaping when they open the aviary door to retreive the bird??

That is a great question! You would have to use extreme care or have birds with wings clipped to some degree.

As for your OP aviary, it looks really nice, and seems very well priced! Nearly 8' high, so check carefully for clearance!!

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots

That is a great question! You awould have to use extreme care or have birds with wings clipped to some degree.

As for your OP aviary, it looks really nice, and seems very well priced! Nearly 8' high, so check carefully for clearance!!

I'm extremely upset... or should say bummed out because HOA regulating the area I was REALLY hoping to buy a condo in does NOT allow anyone to put even a small bird cage on their balcony not even for a few minutes! HOA said I would be immediately fined!!! They also do not allow anyone to have screened in balconies. I was going to buy a condo in that community but NOT anymore more... no thanks! :(

Thankfully, I found another community and spoke to the HOA this morning. The HOA was very nice and told me it would not be a problem for me to place a large bird cage on my balcony :)

.... and they have screened in balconies for all condos in that area so I won't have to worry about accidental escapes :D

I'm going to measure the ceiling height in condo I'm seeing today to see if I could fit this on my balcony... I wish it wasn't so tall!!

'Nut would love it!!

Last edited:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
That's good you found out NOW about HOA and not after you were fined!! And both those huge aviaries looks SA-WEET!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
In a word , NO

1) Made with insect and rot resistant wood. Parrots chew wood
2 Made with galvanized chicken wire. Wire dipped in molten zinc. Parrots chew wire

In either case the end result - no parrots

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
It would be ideal for a bird to have a screened-in balcony! What an awesome amenity to have! Not only would it be shaded because it has a roof, but you can just open your sliding glass door or whatever leads onto the balcony and just let the birds outside! No escape threats! I actually have been thinking about doing something similar in my back yard, it is completely fenced in, which is wonderful for my 2 dogs, I just open my sliding glass door in the dining room up and let them out. But I've been thinking about screening-in my stone patio, which is right outside my sliding glass door, and already has a wooden frame going around it. The person that built my house was a landscape architect for Penn State University, so he was really into plants and gardening. This wooden frame around the patio was used to hang plants, lanterns, string lights, have vines crawling up and around it, etc., but I've actually spoken to a few outdoor living designers about screening it in securely and including a zipper door or something similar to allow the dogs out to the yard. He even discussed having it be retractable so I can still use my fire pit table and the grill on the patio when I want to. But having an apartment/condo with an entire screened balcony would be so convenient for the birds!

Just make sure that the screen material they use is bird-friendly, that it won't hurt them if they chew it or ingest it, and that they won't be able to chew through it and escape. That would be my only worry.

And I don't know what part of Florida you're in, but I lived in Charlotte, NC for a year, about 10 minutes from downtown, and the freaking humidity was the main reason I moved back to Pennsylvania, where everything costs 10 times as much and we have a horrible, long, cold, gray winter. I'd wake up and leave for work at 7:00 a.m. and would be absolutely soaked in sweat just walking to my car, right after I had just showered. Then I'd get home from work around 8:00 p.m., it would be pitch black, and I'd start dripping sweat as soon as I left the AC in the car walking back to my townhouse. I was selling cars that entire time, no management job, so I'd open a car up in the afternoon that had been sitting in a blacktop parking lot in the sun and humidity all day, and you would literally feel this huge wave of wet, scorching heat come out of the car and hit you right in the face. And I'd have to immediately jump inside it and drive it around to the front of the dealership to show a customer. Lol, I'd look normal when I left the customer to go and get the car, and when I'd get back with the car and step out of it my hair would be completely soaked, makeup running down onto my shirt, my shirt would be completely drenched, I'd look like I had just jumped in a pool with my clothes on...No thanks. I loved Charlotte a lot, the people, everyone I met, were just the nicest, kindest, most polite people in the world, everything cost half of what it costs in central PA from housing and vehicles to groceries and clothing. This is why I did an overnight trip to Raleigh-Durham to get my hand-raised baby Senegal parrot, there weren't many available up here at all (and I'd been looking for almost 6 months, had the cage and everything set up and ready for 4 months). The few that I did find closer to Pennsylvania (one breeder in New York state, one on Long Island, and one in Connecticut) cost at least double what they cost down south. His breeders were a husband and wife that had been doing it for decades and only bred a very small number of birds, one to two clutches a year of 4 different species, and they were absolutely wonderful people. So I love the south...But you can keep your humidity! I've been to southern California several times, out to the desert to a few recording studios where it was 120+ degrees, and just as you already said, that dry heat isn't at all bad. But that Florida humidity, UHG. Actually the people in Charlotte told me if I thought it was humid in Charlotte, I should go to Alabama, then I would find out what "Humid" is! Lol...

Good luck on the condo hunting, just remember to check out the screen material to make sure it's completely birdy-safe!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

In a word , NO

1) Made with insect and rot resistant wood. Parrots chew wood
2 Made with galvanized chicken wire. Wire dipped in molten zinc. Parrots chew wire

In either case the end result - no parrots

Thanks Al!! I did not read the details, awesome catch of these hazards!!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

That is a great question! You awould have to use extreme care or have birds with wings clipped to some degree.

I'm extremely upset... or should say bummed out because HOA regulating the area I was REALLY hoping to buy a condo in does NOT allow anyone to put even a small bird cage on their balcony not even for a few minutes! HOA said I would be immediately fined!!! They also do not allow anyone to have screened in balconies. I was going to buy a condo in that community but NOT anymore more... no thanks! :(

Thankfully, I found another community and spoke to the HOA this morning. The HOA was very nice and told me it would not be a problem for me to place a large bird cage on my balcony :)

.... and they have screened in balconies for all condos in that area so I won't have to worry about accidental escapes :D

I'm going to measure the ceiling height in condo I'm seeing today to see if I could fit this on my balcony... I wish it wasn't so tall!!

'Nut would love it!!

This is why I despise HOAs, Juliet. A two-edged knife, as they prevent some really egregious behaviors, but squash many reasonable activities. If you find a bird-friendly community, make sure to get a waiver in writing from an authorized entity. Know I don't have to tell you this, but it is an important concept.

Most Reactions

Latest posts