EMERGENCY HELP - Toxic Smoke Melted Plastic Fumes

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Just saw this - OMG. Makes you wonder, it might have been a good thing you brought in the little pigeon, because you then quarantined the birds to a room away from the smoke.

The smell of plastic smoke lingers. But most of the toxic stuff will dissipate or precipitate...Airing out the room is good. You might also go around with a spray bottle and mist the air well, this can wash suspended particles down where they can be swept or mopped up. And wipe down surfaces after that. Once the smoke is clean and the room is aired a bit I think you will be OK to go in there, and as long as you keep a towel under the door the birds will be OK too. The worst is over and if they are still OK, they are probably really OK. Keep posting, but try to relax...I almost said take a deep breath...actually you should be fine.

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
I agree DRB! I've always been so careful with my pigeons - wearing different clothes, bagging them, having a shower before handling or feeding my parrots.

I need to work something out for future possibilities with regards to taking in possibly sick birds...

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Thanks Kentuckienne, i'll have a spray and a wipe over of surfaces, it sound like great advice! I can't wait for my f10 to arrive so I can have a good clean of everywhere!

Last edited:
OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
I'm starting to calm down a bit now *sigh*

This darn tablet is terrible for typing, I type a word correctly, it recognises the word but changes it anyway!?! I miss my phone!

Thanks for everyones suggestions and support xxx

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
I've been known to take in birds in distress. I do have one advantage many don't and that's a 4200 square foot house with three floors. I have a metric boat load of space. I procedure with new birds is to put them on a different floor. Then, I keep light weight sweatshirts in each bird room, and put on a sweatshirt over my regular clothes then take it off when leaving and then wash my hands any time I go into the quarantine area.

As for the rest, you're more than likely in the clear by now. In the future, it would be wise to keep a couple low thread count pillow cases in your bird room that you can quickly put the birds in and get them out. I think Kentuckienne posted a link a few days ago to somebody's plan for getting all of their birds out safely when they only have seconds. That would be a good thread to go read. It was full of amazing advice.

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Thanks BeatriceC, some sound advice, and that thread is great!

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Flboy, I'm afraid I didn't think to take a snap of my unusual attire at the time - but I bet I looked terribly funny! I just got paranoid about the fumes being in my clothes, and about opening the door and letting more fumes in, putting my clothes in a bag and wearing the nearest available thing seemed to make perfect sense at the time!

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
I second the vote for a photo of you wearing the curtain! ��

I don't have anything to add to the good advice you have already gotten but I wanted to let you know that you have support. Reading your story really made me feel what you must be feeling. Although perhaps things could have been done in a somewhat different fashion, I think you did the right thing by helping the baby. Even if he was destined to die, dying peacefully in a warm nest away from potential predators is preferable to possible alternatives.

OP
Violet_Diva

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Haha, thanks sonja! there sems to be much interest in my curtain wearing... maybe I should do a calendar?!? :D

Quite an interesting ekkie in your photo! - BEAUTIFUL

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Very late to this thread, and glad everything turned out OK! Very scary how random events can turn our lives upside down.

Most Reactions