WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
It was a thin lace she caught her foot on. I have kept all the thick roped toys in her cage and added few good wood ones to chew. She has loads of safe toys. But I am more careful what I choose now. She's very tired today otherwise fine.
I'm glad to hear she is doing better, it will take time to recover from such a bad experience. Thankfully there was no permanent damage.
Macaws need large toys and ropes. They are chew monsters :) As soon as the ropes become frayed, either trim them or discard for a fresh rope.

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
This is Pancho's favorite toy. Literally a chain that I put quick links and bolts and nuts on. Daily I have to pick the pieces up from the floor of his cage and put them back on the chain. Sometimes he will put them on the bars of his cage instead of dropping them to the bottom!
Macaws are Mechanics.
I had the privileged of interacting with Calypso at a local rescue when they were located in Hanover Md.
He was amazing. He could remove bolts from perches and dismantle cages like no other.
When the owner of the rescue noticed how well we interacted, she mentioned that we shoud take him home :) LOL, I don't think Arika would have appreciated that :)

I'd like to offer a suggestion on the chain hardware.
Remove the spring loaded clasp. That is a pinch point.
Use only solid stainless clasps that can be tightened with a wrench.
Just an extra measure to keep your baby safe.

Most Reactions

Latest posts