Essential Oils around birds.

squirrlsong

Jul 21, 2019
Parrots
GCC - Mike
Umbrella - JP
Let me say I'd never use these oils on the bird or anything. I use scented things (like essential oils) to help me with anxiety has I have PTSD. Usually I just have them around to quickly take the cap off and smell then put the cap on again.

My most used is an orange one.

I do have a diffuser but could easily not use it if it was at all unhealthy for my future bird friend.

I just want to see if having them around, maybe a drop on my skin, or having the smell would hurt my bird. If it would I wouldn't use them. Sorry this is long winded. I don't burn candles or anything like that either.

Thanks in advance!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Good for you for researching!

Most of us avoid candles, air fresheners, incense, all the more-or-less obvious stuff... also, hairspray, perfume, powder in birds' immediate presence. Beyond that, you'll find a range of opinions on the more subtle scent options. As a self-avowed Queen of Paranoia, I would not let those oils near the bird... in a separate room, where I could make a dash (as needed for calming) for a quick whiff before returning... that sounds safe enough, surely.
Let's see what people think.
:)

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
Luna // F // Whiteface Pearl Cockatiel
I know for sure tea tree oil is unsafe for birds. The actually essential oil uses a lot of chemical fillers.

OP
squirrlsong

squirrlsong

Jul 21, 2019
Parrots
GCC - Mike
Umbrella - JP
I'll see what others say, but from my other research, it sounds best to avoid them. I would never want to harm my bird pal, and I'd rather be over cautious than make a silly mistake that turns out not to be so minor in the end.

Thanks all!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Our rule of thumb on scents - If I can smell them, they are VERBOTEN for use in the house. Cooking smells, of course no candles, or heated oil thingys, air fresheners, all of that stuff got tossed. Bathroom deoderizer gets 1 quick spritz, with the air vent turned on and the door closed. Sorry to read about your ptsd - how about giving your parrot a good scratching when the tension mounts to high. I know that clams me down enourmously. Parrot respiratory systems are very very sensitive to airborn chemicals. And come on, who doesn't like to give their birdie a nive cuddle or scratch.

OP
squirrlsong

squirrlsong

Jul 21, 2019
Parrots
GCC - Mike
Umbrella - JP
Sorry for the late reply, that sounds like an absolutely fantastic idea! Thanks for all the info.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Scented oils are a murky area! No regulation, so much misdirection!
There is a FB group dedicated to oils around parrots. But remember, when you notice a problem, it is most likely too late!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You are very responsible for considering this! I agree with responses so far.

The issue with essential oils (aside from chemical fillers etc) is that they impact the nervous system (which is why the work for humans as medicine).
If you just sniff the bottle in another room, I don't see that being an issue (as long as it doesn't linger on you or in the air) but wearing the oil could be problematic if you are then hanging around your bird because it could get on the bird, or the bird could inhale enough to experience an impact (given the fact that it can impact a human and birds are much smaller with very sensitive respiratory systems that are so much more efficient than our own).

Some oils are particularly dangerous, but there isn't a lot of research on any of them.
I would definitely not use the diffuser just because then you are putting the oils right into the air, and any foreign substance that isn't "air" is going to be problematic for a bird in theory....at least, potentially...

I just go back to the fact that it lavender and calm a human down in small doses, it likely could have significant impacts on a bird. If they impact us (and our lungs) think about what they could do for others. They get into our bloodstreams after all.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts