Everyone must pet an amazon!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
If you've never petted an amazon, you must! They have the absolutely softest feathers on their heads and necks. It is like sinking your hand into fluff. And when they poof out those nice, big, soft feathers they look like green, male lions with manes.

Pete fell asleep while I was rubbing his head and neck, leaning farther and farther into my hand. Then he nearly slid off my other hand, which he was standing on, lol! So then I cuddled him up against me so he could enjoy himself without taking a tumble.

I am so lucky to have such a sweet boy, especially since he is wild caught.

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
That is great that he is so cuddly. Like you said that is not usually the case with the wild caught ones. Our Blue Fronted Amazon is cuddly as well. But only with my son. She is his bird, and he is the only one allowed to pet her. I can hold her, and take care of her, and I can tell she likes me but Jon is the only one who can pet or cuddle her. But Amazons are GREAT birds!!

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Codie loves to be petted, but only by me! She puts her head down to be scritched as soon as I go near her :) If anyone else tries to do this then she goes for them!! I guess she is just a one person Bird :)

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I feel the same about that barn owl! Soooo soft.

I've petted amazons, theyre just wonderful : )

Joeyx

Mar 15, 2012
Parrots
Birdie (BFA), Cloud (Lovebird)
aah yes, i miss petting an amazon. i had a yellow crowned before. D;

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Twitter, 3yo greencheek conure..Paco 15yo Orangewing Amazon.
PAco isnt cuddly but loves to be scritched on the neck..However when he gets on my shoulder I get to rub my cheek on his sides and thats a treat..

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I've never petted an Amazon. I really feel like I'm missing out :(

Well, he's much too big to lay in your hand like Guava though, lol! Take Guava and multiply by about 9.

If you were closer, I'd say stop by and if he likes you, give him a whirl. He definitely doesn't like everyone though, at least not right away.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
darn i missed my chance, at the pet store this adorable little blue front was playing with my shoe and scurrying over to me on the floor but he wouldn't let me pet him :rolleyes:, such a sweetie though:p! also pete sounds like such a wonderful bird, so jealous ;), i think it takes a special person to get a bird to open up the way you got him to:D.

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I think my Petey is very special. And here I was always so leery of amazons! And I almost didn't take him because I was told he didn't like women. But, he was in that tiny cage, eating that crappy food, and I decided I'd take him anyway, and if he really hated me, I'd eventually find him an owner he did like once he was healthy. But, he's worked out perfectly.

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
I know exactly what you mean, Roxy! Kazi just LOVES to put his forehead on my shoulder so I can get his neck. He likes for me to get my fingers right down to the skin and just rub either side. He gets so relaxed he nearly rolls right off me. His skin and feathers are so velvety soft. I just love plunging my fingers in them and scritching his little head and chin (another favorite spot of his I could probably scratch until the second coming). I was worried because I'd heard amazons didn't have a reputation as cuddly birds and I really wanted a cuddly bird. Kazi is the perfect balance of 'cuddle me' and 'I'm fine over here' for me. He loves cuddles (and gets some before bed every night and usually some after breakfast too) but he can entertain himself while I get some work done as long as he can see me.

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Twitter, 3yo greencheek conure..Paco 15yo Orangewing Amazon.
My hubby thinks it feels creepy when he gives Paco scritchies.
Chickens are also very soft.I have one Australorp that loves to be petted.

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Creepy? I think he feels like fluff and silk, lol! I do have to be careful with all the pin and blood feathers though. Every day I find more now that he finally has enough nutrients to finish molting. Due to the big head and neck feathers, I can also watch the progress of the new feathers each day. They look like new plants coming out of the ground, and it's really cool to watch them "sprout" and begin to unfurl. Every day I end up covered in pieces of feather sheath though.

I don't really have a lot of experience with chickens as I'm horribly allergic. But, they do look enjoyable to pet also. I know some people who have hens they hold and pet like I do with my birds, and say they love them, and that they are wonderful.

Sadie

Feb 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Parrots
Scout- SI Eclectus
I have never had the opportunity to pet an amazon :( I have seen them at our exotics store but no one is allowed to handle their birds because they dont want them "getting funny" with someone before they are purchased....errr made it so difficult to pick a bird that was right for me!
oddest thing i ever heard though, you would think socializing would be a good thing. I wasnt allowed to hold the B&G either because he was sold and in the process of bonding. at least that one made sense!

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I can see to some extent not letting everyone who comes in play with them. You never know who has what on their hands. I always wash mine before handling my birds and between each bird just to be safer. And of course some people could be bitten or may freak out and drop or throw the bird. But, you would think a potential new owner would be allowed to handle the birds with an employee there to help. They let me with Rowdy, and I took her up and down the toy aisles to pick out they toys that interested her.

Sadie

Feb 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Parrots
Scout- SI Eclectus
i agree, some people just want a free petting zoo. But i was really interested and spend a good 2 hours there asking questions about the different types and personalities, diets, my lifestyle lol you would think they would take me for a serious buyer. And honestly if they would have had an eclectus that day i probably would have been :p
I do want to spend some time with an amazon though! i spend some time utubing them last night just out of curiosity! i may be catching the bird bug already and this forum isnt helping lol

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Aaawww...I didn't know that about amazons.

I have to say, our pigeon is the same way. They have extremely thick and super soft feathers too. When I pet my pigeon (injured wild from the city) on the back of his neck, my figers bury up to the first nuckle. Their necks must be just pencil thin!

Toni

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Petting a (cooperative) parrot of any type is a wonderful thing-- but I can't disagree that there's something special about petting an Amazon. :)

amysaviary

Dec 16, 2011
Chambersburg PA
Parrots
African Grey-Kenya
Blue and Gold- Baby
Jenday Conure- Izzy
Hahns Macaw- Derby
Cockatiel- Lemon
Senegal-Dylan

I breed, Sun, Green Cheek, Black Capped and Crimson Bellied Conures. Also IRN's
Nothing wrong with Amazons they r great but I think Cockatoos r the softest!

Most Reactions

Latest posts