Excited to be joining this community!

Emily

Jul 17, 2014
Hi everyone,

My name is Emily, I am 17 years old and from New Jersey. About two years ago I found myself wanting another bird, my family had had a parakeet years earlier who had since passed away. I was too young when we first had Allie to really appreciate how special she was, but toward the end of her life, she really grew on me. She had always been my father's bird, but as she became ill I really started to form a connection with her. I was about nine when things really started to get bad, she had cancer and other complications, she started falling off of her perches. I would take her out while doing my homework, only to eventually cup my hands around her and keep her warm, leaving much homework undone. Her cage had migrated right next to my bed so I could help her when she needed it, soon, that fateful day came when I had to find her, devoid of life and still so fragile.

Fast forward a few years and my family got a cat, Marti, when I was 10 or 11. She is a Siberian cat and a true cat in every way. Permission to pet must be granted, and all food is hers, including baked goods.

Now for the bird. It was the spring of my freshman year of high school, putting me at 15, I had convinced my parents to take me to a bird shop to "look." (This was World of Birds for those of you who are curious) I wanted to see their baby parrotlets, the green ones looked like peas to me and I find that hilariously amazing and somehow alluring. But a twist of fate landed me in a back room of the store with a 6-7 month old cockatiel nestled into my shirt. She had been bought by an older couple who when one suddenly past away, the other brought the bird back. The store doesn't take returns but in this case they allowed for it. She's a beautiful bird, one of the employees told me she had been passed up by many because she wasn't a true baby, if no one took her the worker was considering making her a breeder. I looked at my parents, then looked at this small and trusting creature shoving itself under my hand, demanding to be pet. My parents crumbled. The only comfort my father took in this was that since she was an "older" bird she now was a "discount" bird, as if that were somehow possible. I would have payed many times over what they asked even at that time. The store popped her into a cardboard box, stuck some holes in it, and sent us on our way. I was told that bonding may take some time, as she had been torn from her first owners and then sat in a cage for a few weeks, but this turned out to be less than a problem.
I brought her home, and popped her in the cage I had already set up in my room. I watched her for hours. Then, over the next few days, admittedly, I broke all of the rules. As she watched me sit in my chair, she cheeped at me, asking to come out, and out she did come.
One night over dinner, I posed the question of a name. Being in freshman English at the time, I was reading To Kill a Mockingbird, I jokingly suggested a name, it went over well. This is how I ended up with Scout the cockatiel.

Some of the challenges I've faced with Scout is her fear and distrust of things, like toys and non-pellet food. It will take her about 3 months to dare touch a new toy I've placed in her cage and will only eat fruits and vegetables if she sees me eating them.
She is also a hardcore velcro bird. Some people clip their birds wings to have them be more dependent on their owner, not fly around, not cause trouble in the blinds, and not find entertainment elsewhere. Scout having her flight feathers allows her to be anything but independent. I place her on a perch, she flaps to my head, on a chair then to my head, another person then to my head, if she sees me walking away then to my head. She can't bear to be alone.
She's gotten to be a great manipulator. She can tell who's passing the room by their footsteps and can adjust the pitifulness of her call to appropriately tug on their heartstrings. She usually gets her way and is riding around the house on my shoulder in no time.

One of my fears for the future is for when I go to college. I plan to spent the first semester without her and see how she manages. If she doesn't do well, I will approach the school with a desperate plea, and if all else fails, there will be a grand bird smuggling.

Our family's last addition was adopting a dog at the beginning of my sophomore year of high school, an Australian Cattle Dog named Frannie, who is about the same age as Scout and is another love of my life.

Next year I'll be a senior in high school and I couldn't be happier with that. I play on my schools track and field team as a thrower, specializing in the javelin throw. I also spend a lot of my time longboarding and hanging out with my friends. My hobbies include anything to do with my animals, photography, music, fashion, and hiking or running in the woods.

Favorite color: green
Dream job: fashion buyer, lotto winner
Current job: working for my mommy :) selling vintage clothes on Etsy
Hidden talent: wiggling my tongue like no one else (trust me, it's a talent)
Favorite store: Goodwill
Where I'm looking to go to college: Bryn Mawr, Franklin & Marshall, Dickinson
Inspiration: Ruth Bader Ginsburg, my grandmother
Favorite topic of discussion: women's rights, animals, body modifications
Pet peeves: men's rights, judgmental people, people who say Chanel No 5 smells like old lady, kitten heels, etc
Topics I can't think of: many

I've written this whole life story now because in a few days I'll be going away for maybe 3 weeks (depending on how many crews there are) to do trail work (maintenance and repair) on the Appalachian Trail. Meaning no internet and no shower. I knew if I didn't do this now, I may never get around to it. So I might as well FULLY introduce myself now and get this over with.

I hope I haven't wasted too much of your time!
Emily

(oh my gosh this got so long, and I just realized typing this bit isn't helping)

OP
E

Emily

Jul 17, 2014
Thank you for the welcome!

I hope to post some pictures of Scout soon, but unfortunately she's not very photogenic and is also molting, so she's not looking her best.

I was hoping I could get some input from everyone on what mutation they thought she was. At this point my best guess is a whiteface cinnamon pearl pied cockatiel (that's a mouthful).

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello Emily, very nice introduction! Glad you could join us! Love the name Scout and the story behind it. Have a great time on the Appalachian Trail. What an interesting thing to do.

OP
E

Emily

Jul 17, 2014
Wow! Thank you everyone!
To answer the Ducatimom's question: I used to play more classical instruments but now stick to the happy sounds of my tenor and soprano ukulele.

Ducatimom

Jun 10, 2014
Media
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
6 yr old Sun Conure (Ducati)
Nice! I used to play clarinet. Was even going to major in music ed until I realized I just wanted to play the music for fun instead of learning why this certain composer used these particular cords and so forth lol. I still have and take it out every now and then. Kinda hard to hit the high notes after not really playing since '07. Always nice to meet a fellow musician.

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Great intro! I love the name Scout.

Welcome to the forum. :)

OP
E

Emily

Jul 17, 2014
Wow wow wow! Has my world been busy! I can't believe I'm only just getting to be able to find the time to come on here! Sorry that I posted and then ditched, I've been busier than I've ever been.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Welcome to our flock Emily, hope you enjoy your visits with us, intermittent or whatever regular basis your schedule will allow.....

You know that many times, birds, like some dogs and cats, actually pick their new owners & it looks like Scout has done that too.....In the wild, birds, and other animals, for that matter, learn what is good to eat & what is not, from watching their parents & other family members, so be careful when eating junk food or drinking things you might not want him/her to.....

You’re right to be thinking about Scout when you go off to college, but since you are involved in sports & maybe other after-school activities, you could use them to wean Scout from her velcro-ness before you do have to leave for school.....up until the last couple of years, a birdsitter came in a couple of times a day to feed, water & clean cages.....she & her granddaughters interacted with them and I had made a couple videos and sound recordings so they wouldn't forget me or hate me too much for leaving them alone for up to 6 months at a time...then, with sometimes only two weeks to a month before having to leave again...I think I had my guys properly prepared and never had any real problems, so you and Scout should be able to handle the separation, with the right preparations.....

All in all, sounds like Scout made a pretty good choice and we’ll look for your future postings.....if your introduction is any indication, you might have a future with short stories too.....

Most Reactions