Experience with Powder Coating Chain link

Llamadoc

Jun 20, 2015
Does anyone have experience with using powder coated chain link for an outdoor aviary?
I'm prepping my home for a parrot (looking for the right fit so the exact bird is undetermined).
I'm not sure that simply vinegar washing chain link is sufficient to remove the zinc so I'm considering taking some chain link panels to have them powder coated to assemble an aviary.
Maybe a 12x12x6 aviary. This would only be for an outdoor playpen not for living in full time.
Any thoughts?

OP
L

Llamadoc

Jun 20, 2015
I have spoken with the company that would do the powder coating. Both the prep & the powder coating are non-toxic. I was very explicit that I was doing this for birds that are highly sensitive to toxins, heavy metals & chemicals.

My chain link panels are made of heavy duty 9 gauge wire. It will cost $850.00 to get all the panels powder coated for a 12 x 12 x 6 aviary (this is to treat five 12x6 panels, a 6x6 panel & a 6x6 door panel). The panel pieces as part of the safety door on the outside don't need to be coated since the birds wouldn't come in contact with them. When I priced similar sized powder coated aviaries made of 8 gauge wire, they are ~$5,000.00 plus shipping. I'm sorry I don't know what GAW means.

I'm open to input. Thanks

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
GAW means Galvanised After Welding (as opposed to galvanised before welding which is superior, in my opinion)

Sounds like powder coating is the way to go for you - I personally don't like powder coating chain link, because its flexible so it more likely to crack the coating, but I'm sure the professionals will know best.

Dec 23, 2013
Most of the bird rescue organizations here in Fl use GAW wire..you don't say where you live so i'm unable to help you with a distributor..I've found that 14 Ga.plenty strong enough for even the largest of birds..I'll try to post a pic of the aviary I just built for Ivan...

Attachments

• DSCF0007.jpg
    DSCF0007.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 101
OP
L

Llamadoc

Jun 20, 2015
I'm in TN. How is the galvanized welded wire significantly different from the galvanized chain link?

jiannotto9492

Jun 14, 2015
Long Island, New York
Parrots
Curry the Indian Ringneck
Most of the bird rescue organizations here in Fl use GAW wire..you don't say where you live so i'm unable to help you with a distributor..I've found that 14 Ga.plenty strong enough for even the largest of birds..I'll try to post a pic of the aviary I just built for Ivan...

How did you make the door to open the aviary? Also are those PVC pipes glued together?

Most Reactions

Latest posts