Fairs

JenJen

May 29, 2013
Upstate NY
Parrots
Zulu, blue quaker parrot (5.30.13)
So, unfortunately my opportunity to adopt a bird fell flat. I am back on the market looking for Quaker breeders. I have found one that will have babies available, but I am curious about one thing. They participate in bird fairs. I don't believe the breeder gets their birds from the fair, but they do participate (sponsor?) in a bird fair.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Should I keep looking for one who doesn't?

TIA for any input!

JJ

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
If you don't mind shipping a baby, I know a WONDERFUL breeder in TX that I would HIGHLY recommend. :) She not only hand feeds her baby Quakers, but hand raises them. She is an amazing person and an awesome momma bird. Message me if you won't more info!!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I assume your issue is are their babies healthy? Yes there's a chance of birds at fairs being exposed to disease. But disease can can enter a breeders flock from many other sources also. It's a chance you take when adding/buying any bird. Most sellers offer a short time period for you to have your new charge vetted. Of course what test are you willing to pay for and how much are you willing to spend? Do you have other birds ? Do you have a place to quarantine a new birds ? Can your vet talk with the sellers vet? Can you visit the sellers birds? do you know what to look for. In short any new bird is a chance/risk. IMO i wouldn't let the fact that they do fairs stop me from buying a bird, I would do my homework and get a health guarantee.

Most Reactions

Latest posts