Fan yes or no?

Ilovemygrey

May 9, 2013
Pakistan
Parrots
African grey
can you answer a question:

I bought a weaned grey parrot from a pet shop.The pet shop kept her in an air conditioned room. I don't plan to do that because I feel that is dangerous.So she is trying to acclimatize, I mean she is panting ( moving her tongue up and down) and moving her wings ( feathers away from her body) because she is feeling hot.So I have turned the pedestal fan on her and I have misted her a couple of times ( she sneezed so I quit doing that). I set the fan on her in slow setting. But I have also read that draft is pretty dangerous for parrots. So I am kinda between a dilemma. How do I keep her cool ( help her acclimatise) and not introduce her to drafts.
Can you advise if I am doing this right and what else I should do? I don't want her to get cold or flu or become sick because she is still a baby. What signs should I look for that she is feeling cold or the wind from the fan is making her uncomfortable. ( she has sneezes once already )
Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it .

Tonia

May 26, 2013
I'm no expert, by any means, but my thoughts would be to leave the fan on but not let it blow directly on the bird. The air movement should be enough to cool off the area.

~~~Tonia & Annelise

Zazoothehahns

Apr 5, 2013
I mean no disrespect what so ever, but may I ask what the reasoning/danger is for not having the air conditioner in the room? We have a floor unit A/C in the room where our large cage is located (waiting for the arrival of our feathered friend). The unit has a temperature gauge on it, allowing it to be thermostatically set so it doesn't get too cold, and it blows the air up and into the room rather than a direct stream of air across the room.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
If you have air conditioning I would go with that. I don't think it is going to be harmful unless you keep it extremely cold. If she is panting I would for sure change the environment to make her more comfortable. She could be nervous, sometimes I think they pant a bit when they are anxious.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I've had a grey for 13 years and use air conditioning in the summer. Its never bothered him. Just don't keep it too cool in the room. Good luck.

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Air conditioning can make things very dry as well, so make sure the humidity is comfortable. I figure if your nostrils are going stiff, get a humidifier!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I live in Florida which is quite warm and humid and I keep the central air conditioning at 73 degrees with no problems for the birds I also use ceiling fans as well.:)

OP
I

Ilovemygrey

May 9, 2013
Pakistan
Parrots
African grey
Thanks a lot guys for your feedback. Actually my cockatiel died when I kept her in an air conditioned room and my friend also reiterated that ac is bad for parrots. But maybe the little one died of some other thing. Thanks again!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
IF you kept your Cockatiel in front of the vent, he may have caught a cold. They're fine in a Air conditioned room. I've been keeping my birds in air conditioned room for years. I keep my house at 68 during summer. Just absolutely make sure you don't have the vent directed at them and they will be fine.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian

I bought a weaned grey parrot from a pet shop.The pet shop kept her in an air conditioned room. I don't plan to do that because I feel that is dangerous.So she is trying to acclimatize, I mean she is panting ( moving her tongue up and down) and moving her wings ( feathers away from her body) because she is feeling hot.So I have turned the pedestal fan on her and I have misted her a couple of times ( she sneezed so I quit doing that). I set the fan on her in slow setting. But I have also read that draft is pretty dangerous for parrots.

I really don't think you need be concerned about a pedestal fan causing a draft.....an average room fan, pedestal or box, will create air velocities of less than 1mph (1.6kph) on low and less than 8.75mph (14.1kph) on high.....

The drafts that the various parrot webpages are referring to are cold drafts...drafts on a bird that is in a warm environment, caused by open or unsealed windows and/or doors.....the kind of draft that might give you a chill to stand in front of.....

Evaporation is a good way to cool off during hot weather.....evaporation is what causes the slight cooling you may feel when a breezy blows during hot weather.....

Our feathered friends do not catch colds as we humans do, so I would think that your grey's sneezing may have just been a coincidence.....dust in their nares or some other irritation was most likely the cause.....misting will do a couple of beneficial things for your bird.....cool it off, help clean its feathers...and...help keep its skin from getting dry and itchy.....dry, itchy skin can lead to feather plucking.....

When we take a species of parrot out of their native environment, we need to help compensate for the environmental differences.....if you don't want to mist the bird, it should have a bathing dish, large enough to allow it to bathe when ever it wants to.....

Be careful with a lot of the information you read on the internet, because if it is not properly presented or fully explained, it very well could be harmful , rather than helpful to your bird(s).....

Good luck.....

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
Hi guys,

I want to buy an african grey baby (self feed). My family is against it. The reason for that is my previous 2 african grey died. They think the new one will also not survive. But I have more experience now. I currently have 4 love birds, 2 conures and 2 ringnecks. Did I tell you that I adore parrots? They are my babies. I have always wanted an african grey. I don't care that it can mimic sounds or tricks. That doesn't interest me. I just want to care for her.

Thanks a lot guys for your feedback. Actually my cockatiel died when I kept her in an air conditioned room and my friend also reiterated that ac is bad for parrots. But maybe the little one died of some other thing. Thanks again!

Are you sure there isn't some other environmental issues going on here?? Three dead birds??

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian

If your bird(s) are trapped in their wild environment and brought into an air conditioned environment, yes, in that case there might be cause for concern about the air conditioning, but where companion birds are hatched and raised in cooler climates than their wild cousins enjoy, no there should not be a problem.....

When birds are hatched and raised in environments that have a greater susceptibility to parasites and disease of avian pets and are never properly tested/examined by a avian veterinarian, then virtually anything can be attributed to a bird's death and without a proper necropsy being performed, it would be the same as flipping a coin to determine the bird's cause of death.....

OP
I

Ilovemygrey

May 9, 2013
Pakistan
Parrots
African grey

I bought a weaned grey parrot from a pet shop.The pet shop kept her in an air conditioned room. I don't plan to do that because I feel that is dangerous.So she is trying to acclimatize, I mean she is panting ( moving her tongue up and down) and moving her wings ( feathers away from her body) because she is feeling hot.So I have turned the pedestal fan on her and I have misted her a couple of times ( she sneezed so I quit doing that). I set the fan on her in slow setting. But I have also read that draft is pretty dangerous for parrots.

I really don't think you need be concerned about a pedestal fan causing a draft.....an average room fan, pedestal or box, will create air velocities of less than 1mph (1.6kph) on low and less than 8.75mph (14.1kph) on high.....

The drafts that the various parrot webpages are referring to are cold drafts...drafts on a bird that is in a warm environment, caused by open or unsealed windows and/or doors.....the kind of draft that might give you a chill to stand in front of.....

Evaporation is a good way to cool off during hot weather.....evaporation is what causes the slight cooling you may feel when a breezy blows during hot weather.....

Our feathered friends do not catch colds as we humans do, so I would think that your grey's sneezing may have just been a coincidence.....dust in their nares or some other irritation was most likely the cause.....misting will do a couple of beneficial things for your bird.....cool it off, help clean its feathers...and...help keep its skin from getting dry and itchy.....dry, itchy skin can lead to feather plucking.....

When we take a species of parrot out of their native environment, we need to help compensate for the environmental differences.....if you don't want to mist the bird, it should have a bathing dish, large enough to allow it to bathe when ever it wants to.....

Be careful with a lot of the information you read on the internet, because if it is not properly presented or fully explained, it very well could be harmful , rather than helpful to your bird(s).....

Good luck.....

Thanks a lot for your reply. It was by far the best one. Thanks for sparing the time to explain to me about drafts. I appreciate it.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
If I was on your place I would use the AC, and slowly wean your gray off of it. Your new gray is used to being in a controlled enviroment, suddenly going to hot is really bad for him.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
From observation of my own parrots I have noticed that they become more stressed from heat than they ever do from cold.

I have only one air conditioner in my entire house and that is in my bird room. Granted, my bird room is glass so it does warm up quickly, but the difference in my birds when they are too hot compared to when the air conditioning is runing is very obvious. When the air conditioner is cooling the room they are active, chatty and playful. When they are too hot the sit with their beaks open and their wings lifted away from their bodies.

Think about birds flying when you worry about "drafts"! How much draft do you suppose they get flying quickly. I can imagine a cage sitting next to a door that opens frequently in the winter might be cause for concern but otherwise, moving air is pleasant, not harmful.

OP
I

Ilovemygrey

May 9, 2013
Pakistan
Parrots
African grey

Good luck.....
Thanks a lt. Much appreciated.

Most Reactions

Latest posts