Fargo and his best friend

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
So I did not intend for this to happen, but it appears Fargo and Smeagol have become friends !

Of course i am VERY careful letting them interact, always have my hand in between them in case he bites..

But he is SOOOO gentle with him i cant believe it!

Usually he just looks at him through the pouch, but today, Fargo was sitting on my chest, and Smeagol saw him, and came running out (even though hes meant to be nocturnal haha ) and started playing with him!!! He was just running around and Fargo was running along!

Then Fargo rolled upside down and was getting tickles and Smeagol wanted to join in hahaha

I think Fargo knows that i am caring for Smeagol, so he is trying to care for him and look after him, because he tries to regurgitate for him, he has never actually brought anything up though..

Vet said there are no diseases that will make either of them sick, so its all safe!

At least i dont have to worry about Fargo being jealous!
Have had Smeagol for almost 3 weeks and Fargo is his usual cuddly self, and enjoys just sitting next to Smeagol getting cuddles haha

and Smeagol likes him as well, he is scared of anyone else except me and Fargo haha

Just chilling

Both just lying on my chest

Fargo trying to lick him :S Which i wont let him do!

Then Smeagol climbed under him

You can see him under Fargos wing haha

Then Fargo rolled over like usual and wanted to tickle, and Smeagol wanted to join!

They only get to interact once every few days, i think this is the 3rd time i have let them see each other!
But Smeagol will be with me until about December! So i am just so glad Fargo doesn't have a problem with him!

He is such an angel, so sweet and gentle!

Just to be clear i know this may not be super safe cause Fargo could hurt him, but they only interact with me right there, and i can read the behaviours if Fargo gets too excited haha

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
and just for the cuteness overload

He hopped out of his pouch and decided to sleep like this...

Smeagol playing tonight:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEmPlltyY7k&feature=youtu.be]smeagol playing - YouTube[/ame]

None of my animals are normal i swear hahahaa

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
What is Smeagol???? Beside cute???

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Sooooo cute, Smeagle's going to start stealing some of Fargo's glory XD

When Smeagle is almost ready to be released how to you teach him to eat in the wild?

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Nobody can tell me what animal is Smeagol? I'm curious...I really have no clue as to what he is!

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
Aww Smeagol is so little! I don't often see the babies! He's gorgeous! Super cute that they love each other! :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
They're soooooooo darn cute together!!!!!!! :)

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
What is Smeagol???? Beside cute???

Hahaha :09:
Yes like Ashley said, he is an Australian Brushtail Possum!

He will grow to be about 4.5kg! So ALOT bigger than Fargo

At the moment he is only 300 grams :rolleyes:

When he starts eating solids, then he will grow up really quickly! Expect him to be weaned and ready for release in December..

I worked it out, that he would of been born on April 22nd.. According to the growth rate charts ;)

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Sooooo cute, Smeagle's going to start stealing some of Fargo's glory XD

When Smeagle is almost ready to be released how to you teach him to eat in the wild?

Hahahaha Oh i dont think Fargo will mind... I am just starting to imagine them both hanging upside down, side by side, on one of Fargos gyms :rolleyes:

Ummmm well they usually just forage on trees and plants, occasionally fruit.. But the gum trees are one of the main foods for them, the carer told me to start putting the fresh leaves in his pouch so he can nibble, and he is chewing at them! :)

When he is in the aviary i will just put lots of branches in there, and then when its open he will come and go as he pleases until he knows he can look after himself!

We have other possums around here, which might be the ones we released, because they are pretty tame :20: so i would assume he would join their family!

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
LOL I love those paws!

HAHA They are so big and cute right!

Funny thing is, according to his weight, body and tail length, his feet are actually SMALLER than what they should be :09: Even though they look huge compared to his body! :p

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Aww Smeagol is so little! I don't often see the babies! He's gorgeous! Super cute that they love each other! :)

Babies are always in the wildlife rescue place!!! When i got Smeagol, there were 4 others ones that got found on that same day!

So many people just hit them with their cars ! :31:

Thank you! :rolleyes:

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Thank you everyone! I am sure there will be more adventures with them both soon! ;)
Especially because my room is perfect for birds and possums, so they will probably be playing chase soon hahahaha

and heres Smeagol having his milk this morning, i love how he holds the bottle :eek:

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
OMG I'll never look at possums the same way now!!!! Cutie pie!!

They say they are really mean here though!

Most Reactions

Latest posts