Want my Macaw to fly!!

Caspian

Sep 7, 2013
Hi, I have just got a very young Macaw, I think about 6 or 7 months old- called Cosmo, B and G :blue:- totally tame and affectionate and we immediately fell in love- already the first day he flew from his cage to my arm!! I was shocked, and all my family begged me to clip his wings or he would be out of the house in a second- we live in Spain so all the windows and doors are always open. So a had just a few of the primaries cut- he now glides gently to the floor.... But then I started really researching and found out that it is perfectly possible to train Macaws to fly outside and have seen many videos on you tube of owners happily flying their parrots outside! I had no idea one could do this. Since I have Cosmo with me all the time, and I have the time to dedicate, I want to train him to fly again- so the big question: when will his feathers grow back, and will he fly again....? I do hope so! He is a very happy, relaxed bird and hasn´t seemed to notice at all that his feathers were clipped, all he wants to do day and night is cuddle me... can anyone help? Thanks!!! :)

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
Please remember he is just a baby right now, he will be going through a period of "teenage rebellion".

Before you can free flight your bird has to be able to do indoor recall 100% of the time. You need to do work with him in a large indoor area. You should also really see if you can find someone who can mentor you in your area. Once indoor recall is down then you move out side with a harness and start harness recall. lots of time, years to be invested here.For ever great video on wonder free flight there are 5 more stories about owners who have lost there birds. Are you ready to lose yours? It is a choice every free flighter has made.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
You should send liberty wings a email, they are fantastic at training birds for free flight. Free flight is very risky, but liberty wings are one of the best out there.
Avian Training and Flight Instruction

Here's one of there videos, "Is flight training for everyone"

[ame=http://youtu.be/HnUsPfxZdIs]Interview 2 of 5, Is Flight Training For Everyone? - YouTube[/ame]

jery1234

Mar 3, 2013
His feathers will grow back after he reaches one year. , It takes a lot of practice to teach a bird to free flight . You are In good position because yours bird is very young . What I found personally is that although training is necessary, the most important thing is the bond between you two. So make your bird love you to death. I would start to teach him to wear a bird harness , expose him to new thinks, walking around the house in the harness of course , avoid windy days, and finally do lots of research.

Most Reactions

Latest posts