Fast evacuation method?

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
I found this page listed on Facebook about fast evacuation.

It was a good read and something to think about. I have carriers with everyone's photo and info card attached, but in a major emergency it would take a long while.

What are your thoughts? What do you have planned?

How To Evacuate Parrots When You Only Have Seconds

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Excellent article, thanks for posting!! I live in an area with potential for fire, but not as bad as my previous home. Ten years ago I had about 12 hours notice before a mandatory evac. Thankfully I had purchased a van and outfitted the interior as escape vehicle. At the time I had 13 parrots, a cat, and two dogs. Was able to spend the 5 nights at a friend's home. It was somewhat difficult but quite the adventure, especially keeping the larger macaws and cockatoos in their plastic carriers!

The first few days were doubtful at home, so I'd call the landline periodically. If the answering machine was available, it meant the house was standing and had electricity!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
This is actually the plan I have in place! Thankfully I'm in a location where fire would have a really hard time threatening me, and I'm safe from virtually all weather.

However in 2013 I did NOT have an escape plan that was reasonable and was forced to leave my birds behind during a tornado threat. That hammered home that I NEEDED a way to get them out and get them out FAST. Then a couple of years later I heard my husband's aunt describe being forced to leave a cat behind in a burning house, and was really glad I had a plan in place. Fortunately the cat survived, but still the fact that the humans were dragged from the home and the cat left behind... it's a terrifying prospect. I'm fortunate that all my birds are small and the pillow case idea will work pretty well if I ever am unlucky enough to need it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts