Fear of Psittacosis

kauferlie

Jul 7, 2014
Great to have this site.
I am on the fence about purchasing a Sun Conure.
My only hesitation is my fear of psittacosis.
Since the bird will be in the house, and we run the a/c 24/7, and I have children, I am just a bit paranoid. My youngest child is 6 years old.

Any thoughts/ recommendations?:orange:

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I think it should be fine if you teach your children good hygiene, keep them away from bird poop and make sure they wash their hands before eating.

Parrot fever or Psittacosis is not common, especially since they stopped importing birds. That said chickens, ducks can carry it as well. In all the years I have had parrots and known people that had them I have not known a single person to contract the disease. Frankly if I had kids today I would be more concerned with drinking water, processed foods, dyes and toothpaste.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I would be more concerned about the bird become ill from something the kids bring home or due to the ac (depending what temp you keep it at and cage position) than psittacosis. It is a relatively rare disease these days, and any new bird needs to see an avian vet after coming home, and the vet would pick up on it in the wellness exam. However, running an ac at too low of a temp can lower a birds immune system and little ones are always bringing home bugs that could get the bird sick. I think you should be fine, and as labell mentioned, just teach the kids good hygiene practices around the bird (such as washing their hands, staying away if they are sick, and not touching the poop). You should also never position a cage in any kind of draft (so no where near an ac vent) and the ideal temperature for a parrot is 75-85 degrees.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
It is not common now, but from what I've read it's more so in Budgies. An old boyfriend told me that many years ago HE had Psittacosis. His parents owned a pet store with a bunch of Budgies, but that was many decades ago.

The ones you do hear about happening (still not common) BUT it's around and enough people here have had brushes with it is PDD (Bornavirus), and PBFD. Please try not to be paranoid, but do read up and learn about taking precautions, and get a new bird tested, and quarantine. Unlike Psittacosis, these two viruses I mentioned are NOT transmittable to humans, but can kill your bird.

OP
K

kauferlie

Jul 7, 2014
Thanks to all for your feedback.
I want the kids to experience a bird, as I had as a a child.
Just need to flush this fear out of my system.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thanks to all for your feedback.
I want the kids to experience a bird, as I had as a a child.
Just need to flush this fear out of my system.

Well, just have a healthy dose of caution, don't completely throw it out the window. Just try not to have paranoia - like I have to tell myself... Once you've been through disease like I have (had a bird who LOOKED perfect, bought from a bird specialty store) as I say viruses ARE around.... it's hard to completely ignore and deny. I just take precautions the best I can. I like to buy toys and supplies from places that are known to be 'safe' or not have birds or grooming dust in the store, I've been very careful since the incident what the source of my new birds are, etc.
On the other hand, I still visit bird stores and bird environments and still take a small risk cause you just can't stop living.

Most Reactions

Latest posts