Feather brite light questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

denaz101

Nov 23, 2014
Asheville NC
Parrots
Hahns Macaw
Hey folks, hope all is well. If you use a UV light for your bird/s how long do you keep the light on for?

Thanks,

Here is a shot of the little guy!!

IMG_2504_zpsfc5c9a8c.jpg

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Kiwi gets his for about 2-3 hours at a time a couple times a week. He really loves it and it's greatly improved his attitude during the winter.

Your bird is really cute! Looks like a bundle of trouble as those little mini macs often are;)

OP
D

denaz101

Nov 23, 2014
Asheville NC
Parrots
Hahns Macaw
Thanks all for your expereince on the light, I guess we will paly around with the hours. And yes kiwibird, this guy us starting to become a handful, he sure does have quite a personality and becoming more and more mischievous as time goes by!!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
And yes kiwibird, this guy us starting to become a handful, he sure does have quite a personality and becoming more and more mischievous as time goes by!!

LOL. You can just see it in his little eye and the way he turned his head that he's got mischief on the mind. Such a cutie though!

Shayne

Jan 9, 2013
What UV lights is everyone using. I have a reptisun 10.0 that I used to use with a bearded dragon. Will this be ok to use with my macaw.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
What UV lights is everyone using. I have a reptisun 10.0 that I used to use with a bearded dragon. Will this be ok to use with my macaw.

Absolutely not. Heat bulbs designed for reptiles have a potential to severely burn parrots (as in, life threatening burns). They are also designed to produce light at wavelengths suited to reptiles, not parrots. I actually still have the last sunlamp bulb from before my beardie passed. I use it as a craft light since it is a really good natural light simulator. It's just not appropriate for my bird. I've seen (on a different forum) some horrific photos of burns caused to birds by reptile bulbs. It's simply not worth the money saved (the vet costs will be 50X more than a bird specific bulb).

There are cool bulbs designed for parrots available. The Feather Bright, as being discussed in this thread and I believe there is another one by Zoomed specifically for avians. We have the featherbrite and our bird loves it!

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Unfortunately they don't do a thing for our birds!!!! The only right way is natural sun light.

OP
D

denaz101

Nov 23, 2014
Asheville NC
Parrots
Hahns Macaw
Unfortunately they don't do a thing for our birds!!!! The only right way is natural sun light.

Hey Mikey, I have heard that as well. I just got the Hahns in November and guess the real test will be when spring/summer come along and I can get the bird outside into an aviary I am building him, but I figured it won't hurt. But as in the responses before, I made sure I did not get the reptile light and got the feather bright, hope you are staying warm with this winter weather!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots

I agree that natural sunlight is BEST whenever possible, however in the depths of winter in many parts of the world, offering opportunities to be in natural sunlight isn't a possibility. Not sure if they actually make them produce vitamin D, but I know Kiwi runs for his lamp and sits right under it. He's a lot happier and more active too. He's right in front of a HUGE window and I always have the overhead lights in the living room on, so he's not in some dark corner where the lamp is the only source of light either. I don't feel these lamps make miracles for birds, but I think they do have some positive benefit:)

BreakinNewz

Jun 1, 2013

It's not really fair to just say "they don't do a thing for our birds" with no explanation whatsoever. From my OWN observations my macaw seems to be more responsive and active since I have been using the light. She also seems to be eating more. So my own conclusion is it is in some way shape or form working from what I have been witnessing.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian

From what I know, those are no good! I use the Feather Bright bulb.

I don't know if you've ever read any of the information that is included in the links mentioned in the following sticky, but much of what you've asked is answered there, as long as you are willing to read through all the information.....

there are validating sources for the claims, something that the various manufacturers will not give you. If you ask for independent verification of their claims, you will get hypothetical claims, but no independently verifiable information sources that can be contacted for verification....while the information in this file is supported by verified and verifiable academic studies, in the United States as well as recognized studies by universities and other engineering sources in Europe.....

So, I offer you your same statement you offered Mikey, but with bit more information than you offered It's not really fair to just say "they don't do a thing for our birds" with no explanation whatsoever. From my OWN observations my macaw seems to be more responsive and active since I have been using the light. She also seems to be eating more. So my own conclusion is it is in some way shape or form working from what I have been witnessing.

If you can offer a valid, provable hypothesis or conclusion that dispels the conclusions in any of the information I have posted, concerning what UV lights, made and sold for the benefit of our feathered friends, do or don't do, I am willing to rewrite that information and re-post it here as an addendum to the above mentioned and following Sticky file.....

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-health-care/35383-lighting-information-birds.html

BreakinNewz

Jun 1, 2013

From what I know, those are no good! I use the Feather Bright bulb.

I don't know if you've ever read any of the information that is included in the links mentioned in the following sticky, but much of what you've asked is answered there, as long as you are willing to read through all the information.....

there are validating sources for the claims, something that the various manufacturers will not give you. If you ask for independent verification of their claims, you will get hypothetical claims, but no independently verifiable information sources that can be contacted for verification....while the information in this file is supported by verified and verifiable academic studies, in the United States as well as recognized studies by universities and other engineering sources in Europe.....

So, I offer you your same statement you offered Mikey, but with bit more information than you offered It's not really fair to just say "they don't do a thing for our birds" with no explanation whatsoever. From my OWN observations my macaw seems to be more responsive and active since I have been using the light. She also seems to be eating more. So my own conclusion is it is in some way shape or form working from what I have been witnessing.

If you can offer a valid, provable hypothesis or conclusion that dispels the conclusions in any of the information I have posted, concerning what UV lights, made and sold for the benefit of our feathered friends, do or don't do, I am willing to rewrite that information and re-post it here as an addendum to the above mentioned and following Sticky file.....

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-health-care/35383-lighting-information-birds.html

I respect your insight and any testing, I will definitely take all that into consideration.
But obviously these bulbs do not produce what the sun does but I think it is better than nothing. I believe that providing them with some type of light is better than providing a dark room with hardly no light.

Here is a cool little comparison
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...-fluorescent-vs-led-ultimate-light-bulb-test/

Last edited:

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I do understand natural sunlight is always better, but for those of us who live in climates too cold/cloudy etc. I feel having the Feather Bright light for Zilla does wonders for her. She loves it and runs to sit under it. She is more active when she has it versus when it's not on.

She also is not in some dark corner with no other lighting, she is in front of an 8' X 6' patio sliding door and I keep the main light in the living room on all day for her.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
We've gone down the light(n)ing path once too many times. Folks are highly encouraged to do their own research, particularly check out the sticky that was linked to - twice. :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
From Parrot University!

Screenshot_2015-02-17-19-54-36_zpsmofgbgbf.png

For those that doubt what I said, please do your own research cause I did extensive research on it years ago. It's not something posted often cause most places get paid to promote full spectrum lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions