Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I love my birds, don't get me wrong, but my male cockatiels have this annoying habit of singing as soon as I walk into a dark room. I have frequent insomnia and sleep is a pest some nights. WHat do I do? Go into the computer room/bird room and play on the internet with my earbuds in and lights off until I feel the hint of sleep creeping up on me :) .

Redshift is too old to sing regularly when I'm up at 4 am, but Moon... Good God. He is SOO ANNOYING. As soon as he hears me crawl into the hallway leading to the bird room, he's chirping. I even doubled up on the blankets that cover the community cage to make it darker. I hope he shushes up long term. I just started doing that. I live in an apartment building, so folks will hear them singing and even though folks have dogs all over the building, I'm the only one with parrots. Yeep!

Soooooo.. what do your fids do that drive you utterly bonkers? How do you handle it?

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Awww, I'm lucky that I don't mind mine singing the second they hear me move. They live in my room so I can't escape them, maybe that's why I don't mind it so much! My male cockatiel, Volkan, always starts whistling to me when he hears me and it's so cute!

My conures are the ones that drive me crazy. Tequila screams a lot and I think it's just her way of communicating but it can get very grating as she's so demanding with it. She can be out of the cage and she will still scream at me for something. She's even screamed at me whilst I'm trying to give her treats. The volume and pitch just hit that spot that it gets really annoying. I thought crimson bellied conures were supposed to be quiet, my green cheek is silent compared to her! The other thing that annoys me is my other conure, Sierra, will hold in her poop until I let her out of the cage and then she'll find the worst spot to let it all out. I didn't train her, and she flies away from me when I try to put some kitchen roll under her to catch it. I may have to train her but I've heard a lot of bad things about doing that.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Awww, I'm lucky that I don't mind mine singing the second they hear me move. They live in my room so I can't escape them, maybe that's why I don't mind it so much! My male cockatiel, Volkan, always starts whistling to me when he hears me and it's so cute!

My conures are the ones that drive me crazy. Tequila screams a lot and I think it's just her way of communicating but it can get very grating as she's so demanding with it. She can be out of the cage and she will still scream at me for something. She's even screamed at me whilst I'm trying to give her treats. The volume and pitch just hit that spot that it gets really annoying. I thought crimson bellied conures were supposed to be quiet, my green cheek is silent compared to her! The other thing that annoys me is my other conure, Sierra, will hold in her poop until I let her out of the cage and then she'll find the worst spot to let it all out. I didn't train her, and she flies away from me when I try to put some kitchen roll under her to catch it. I may have to train her but I've heard a lot of bad things about doing that.
I put a dish of chop on top of my budgie Rocky's cage every morning. Her favorite ingredient is the whole kernel corn. She grabs a kernel in her beak then flys over and lands on my head where she proceeds to use her beak to extract the good stuff inside the kernel and then drops the empty kernel on my head. Thanks, Rocky!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
For my Amazonā€™s.
Merlin and the way he has to scream whenever I spend time with Bingo.
Itā€™s not just ā€œtimeā€ sitting with me but certain activities.
I can give scratches and thatā€™s ok but if we play fight Merlin screams.
This is a bigger problem than it sounds like but donā€™t want to dive into it now.

Luna and the way she insists on trying to bite me when adding treats to her food dish.
Merlin does it too but Luna is seriously out for blood šŸ©ø (and got it a few times)

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Well there are certainly days Ona drives me bonkers with her clingy-ness. Most of the time I love it but sometimes she can be a bit much lol. If thatā€™s the case I just try whatever I can to give her something else to do. Foraging, special treat etc.

Other than that Iā€™d say the two biggest things she does that annoy me are #1 she doesnā€™t want me taking caps off things - chapstick, makeup products, some lids - she gets super mad and will bite so I always have to put her down before touching any of those things.

And #2 when she starts being super stubborn about getting off of where sheā€™s perched. ā€œNo I will not step up and I will get pissed if you grab me but also donā€™t you even dare think about walking away without taking me with youā€. šŸ˜…

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Bella my CAG.
MY biggest peeve is actually small stuff all things being equal.
She wonā€™t let me scratch and cuddle her the way she lets my wife do it.

I should feel great full that sheā€™s not an exclusive 1 person bird the way my Bingo is. We can all pick her up/carry her around.

She also has one irritating vocalization.
Imitating the Cockatiels at 3x a cockatielā€™s volume .

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
The way Rico ignores most treats but is more than willing to stick his weird little bird feet INTO MY MAC AND CHEESE, WHICH HE DOESNT EVEN LIKE. Ahem, anywayā€¦ he also feels entitled to my food, and flies over to grab a bite. Usually, if itā€™s okay for him to eat, I share it, but more often than not, he swoops over and steals some. Doesnā€™t matter what it is, if Iā€™m eating it, he will try and eat some.

Oh, or if Iā€™m writing while heā€™s out because he didnā€™t want my attention, he will fly over and demand it, after he made it clear he didnā€™t want me to hang out with him. Itā€™s mildly annoying but I donā€™t mind it all that much. It can get a bit stressful when he constantly does this while Iā€™m trying to write a request that someone made.

Oh, and when I yawn and he tries to lick my ā€˜snaggletoothā€™ (a canine tooth that grew above the other teeth, if that makes sense. I love how it looks sm) and itā€™s like ā€œdude, I just drank redbull and ate the most ungodly food combination, and you want to LICK my tooth..?ā€

Oh, and heā€™s exceptionally grumpy. If he could speak English, he would be one sarcastic little gremlinā€¦ and drop a lot of F bombs.

Cricket likes to get into her bowl and kick food EVERYWHERE, which makes cleaning a nightmare.

Cricket also likes to fly by and spook Rico

And this little yellow menace is a sassy little diva with a temper and the hatred of a thousand suns. Hell hath no fury like a Cricket scorned. Surprisingly though, she never bites hard. Iā€™ve never had a bird like that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts