Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Surprised no one mentioned, tips of feathers tend to turn black due to wear and tear, lots of handling. The oil from our hands can blacken the tips of the feathers.

Also the feathers tend to get the dull look right before the big moult. Seeing you have a 5 month old gcc, possible the little fella will moult soon. If the feathers did not grow like this but blackened afterwards, there is nothing to worry about.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Surprised no one mentioned, tips of feathers tend to turn black due to wear and tear, lots of handling. The oil from our hands can blacken the tips of the feathers.

Also the feathers tend to get the dull look right before the big moult. Seeing you have a 5 month old gcc, possible the little fella will moult soon. If the feathers did not grow like this but blackened afterwards, there is nothing to worry about.
Discolouration can also be caused my poor diet, as they diet they were feeding her isn't that good(though they are busy giving her a better diet!).

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Discolouration can also be caused my poor diet, as they diet they were feeding her isn't that good(though they are busy giving her a better diet!).

As said, bad diet will show on newly grown feathers rather on old feathers, meaning if a freshly grown feather has black along the side of the feather, that is from diet, unlike the very tips :)

Here is a prime example of discolouration due to bad diet, see how it goes from the shaft. (faded black tips on the wings is completely normal)

DSC00336.JPG

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
As said, bad diet will show on newly grown feathers rather on old feathers, meaning if a freshly grown feather has black along the side of the feather, that is from diet, unlike the very tips :)

Here is a prime example of discolouration due to bad diet, see how it goes from the shaft. (faded black tips on the wings is completely normal)

View attachment 33978
I see. I did some research and black tips can also be cause by too much fat(cholesterol) in blood. I think she should have her blood tested (2-3 times with a 2-3month period in-between each test to make sure the results are accurate) to see if it's actually diet related. But it's still important that she switches her bird to a healthier diet, to prevent other problems :)

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I see. I did some research and black tips can also be cause by too much fat(cholesterol) in blood. I think she should have her blood tested (2-3 times with a 2-3month period in-between each test to make sure the results are accurate) to see if it's actually diet related. But it's still important that she switches her bird to a healthier diet, to prevent other problems :)
*it also depends on whether your species have discoloration on the feather tips

OP
PeachestheGCC

PeachestheGCC

Jan 6, 2022
Nebraska
Parrots
Yellow sided green cheek conure

We do handle her quite a bit... she loves being on our shoulders, inside our hoodies, under blankets, she cuddles up to our necks/faces, she lays on her back on our hands (which is where I think the oils in our hands might have done something). She's also going through a molt right now! We got her November 26th 2021 & the breeder said she's been molting for a week.. so she started November 19th. Not sure how long she'll molt though, she's lost a bunch of baby feathers & her first tailfeather yesterday!!

As pipp said, we are transitioning her to a new diet as we messed up & had it wrong! She's been eating nothing but veg chop & a few treats the past few days. We are giving her fruit 2x a week. Her new pellets will be here this upcoming week, so hopefully she transitions well.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
We do handle her quite a bit... she loves being on our shoulders, inside our hoodies, under blankets, she cuddles up to our necks/faces, she lays on her back on our hands (which is where I think the oils in our hands might have done something). She's also going through a molt right now! We got her November 26th 2021 & the breeder said she's been molting for a week.. so she started November 19th. Not sure how long she'll molt though, she's lost a bunch of baby feathers & her first tailfeather yesterday!!

As pipp said, we are transitioning her to a new diet as we messed up & had it wrong! She's been eating nothing but veg chop & a few treats the past few days. We are giving her fruit 2x a week. Her new pellets will be here this upcoming week, so hopefully she transitions well.
It's ok to give her the unhealthy pellets for now, you can always keep the zupreem for teats. it's important to not only give veggies :)

OP
PeachestheGCC

PeachestheGCC

Jan 6, 2022
Nebraska
Parrots

View attachment 33978
Hers aren't really black like that all over.. hers are just on the tips. So maybe it is just from the oils in our hands? Still getting her on a better diet though lol. Thank you guys for the replies, very helpful information! 😊

OP
PeachestheGCC

PeachestheGCC

Jan 6, 2022
Nebraska
Parrots
It's ok to give her the unhealthy pellets for now, you can always keep the zupreem for teats
Ope, guess I forgot to say I have been giving her just a PINCH of the zupreem pasta blend mixed with her veg chop. She's currently demolishing a plate 🤣 she gets her fruits 2x a week (Sundays & wednesdays) she gets 1 avicake after vegetables. & treats throughout the day.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
that's alright! just don't overfeed avicakes(although I know you are still transitioning her), as it does contain sugar and fillers☺️

OP
PeachestheGCC

PeachestheGCC

Jan 6, 2022
Nebraska
Parrots
Update: her new pellets arrive Thursday. Her diet is getting better & she's enjoying chop more & more. She's still getting a little bit of zupreem pasta blend pellets until the Tops arrives. She gets fruits on sundays & wednesdays. She's been getting 1 avicake every other day now. She gets millet, Higgins true fruit treats & a few seeds as treats throughout the day. Her weight last time I posted was 63.5 grams now she's at 65.5 grams as of today.

Her feathers still worry us as they look pretty ragged 😕 should we just call our CAV? I'd like to get bloodwork done just to be sure of anything, but we're kinda tight on money.. but if it needs to be done we will! What do you guys think? @Pippentiel @Skarila
Screenshot_20220111-111527_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220111-111541_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220111-111601_Gallery.jpg

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
hi, It'll take a while for her feathers to get better, probably on the next molt. If your tight on money, I'd recommend having her blood tested only it the feathers haven't changed after diet change and next molt :)

OP
PeachestheGCC

PeachestheGCC

Jan 6, 2022
Nebraska
Parrots
hi, It'll take a while for her feathers to get better, probably on the next molt. If your tight on money, I'd recommend having her blood tested only it the feathers haven't changed after diet change and next molt :)
Thanks pipp! 😊

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I agree with this one, exactly what my vet suggested when I got my Pascal, his feathers were in a terrible condition. Luckily after his moult he is one handsome boy. And a little fatso.

@PeachestheGCC just make sure your gcc isn't losing weight :)

OP
PeachestheGCC

PeachestheGCC

Jan 6, 2022
Nebraska
Parrots
I agree with this one, exactly what my vet suggested when I got my Pascal, his feathers were in a terrible condition. Luckily after his moult he is one handsome boy. And a little fatso.

@PeachestheGCC just make sure your gcc isn't losing weight :)
Great to hear! Makes us feel better! 😄 we weigh her once daily, she's been gaining weight at a good pace. Thank you guys a bunch!

Hibiscus

Apr 5, 2021
Nevada
Parrots
Been noticing her feathers are turning black on the tips & not sure what's causing it.

Her diet is fine I think? She eats mixed fruits in the mornings, then lafebers avicakes for breakfast/lunch then a vege chop mixed with a little zupreem pasta blend pellets for dinner & when she's done with that she gets 2 Nutriberries with a little more avicakes for the rest of the night until bed. I follow the feeding instructions on the bags of food too. She eats every time we feed her & not just a little.. She goes HAM. She goes to bed at 9 pm & wakes up at 9 am. She WILL NOT go to bed any earlier & wakes up the same time every morning.

She acts perfectly normal, poops are normal, doesn't seem to stress about anything (besides not getting enough scritches lol)

she's a very affectionate birb & always wants cuddles & scritches. She loves laying on her back in our hands, crawling through our hoodies. She also sleeps in a triangle happy hut that I made her every night. Is this possibly from the oils on our hands & her roughing around her cage?

We recently went to a CAV & he said she was perfectly fine & healthy & that she's just rough on her feathers cause she's young & doesn't know any better.. we are new bird parents & are trying to do everything right for her & hoping there isn't something wrong.
View attachment 33842

AnimaliaPrime

Apr 11, 2017
Wisconsin
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure female
That's normal, especially for a youngster. It's basically "damaged" feathers from playing too hard! LOL My GCC had that for over a year--different areas. As your bird moults and gets new feathers the current blackened ones will disappear, but more may appear. But she should grow out of it. My GCC was very active and climbing all over her cage and playstand and banging into her toys and rolling around and stuff. Nothing to worry about.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy