Feather issue ?

ranasrule

Aug 2, 2015
I got my Alexandarine male a month or so back....the previous owner has clipped his wings in a horrible way (as you can see from the pic). My question is will those feathers grow back and also about those white feathers where his tail begins(i think they are called down feathers ?).Are they supposed to look like that ? Is he moulting ?

LHhJIS7.jpg

oIfpXEv.jpg

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
No, they are not supposed to look like that, and it is too heavy for molting. Looks like plucking to me, likely because his super short wing feathers are stabbing him :( Poor baby. Hopefully he molts in new feathers soon!

Asiatic parrots like these can also be more susceptible to certain diseases like PBFD than other parrots. I suggest getting him tested for PBFD through a company such as Avian BioTech, it only takes a few minutes and costs less than $20.

OP
R

ranasrule

Aug 2, 2015
No, they are not supposed to look like that, and it is too heavy for molting. Looks like plucking to me, likely because his super short wing feathers are stabbing him :( Poor baby. Hopefully he molts in new feathers soon!
How often do Alexandarines molt and how long does it take ?

Asiatic parrots like these can also be more susceptible to certain diseases like PBFD than other parrots. I suggest getting him tested for PBFD through a company such as Avian BioTech, it only takes a few minutes and costs less than $20.
Unfortunately these kind of tests for birds are available in my part of the world

Basically what I want to know is if I should be overly concerned :confused::confused::confused:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I believe they molt 1-2 times a year. However there are things that can trigger a molt, such as extreme diet change and extreme change in how much sunlight he can get. If you can feed him LOTS of fresh veggies and fruits and sprouts, and get him in sunshine (with the option to go in the shade and be sure he is safe and has cool water) for as much of the day as possible, he may go into a molt very soon. It would also be wonderful if you could give him a good soaking bath once a day and let him dry in the sun.

Of course as I say this i realize it is winter for a lot of people and very cold. Obviously dont take him out in the cold. Windows filter out the rays that birds need, so putting him near a window won't do much good and could just let drafts get to him. You may consider full spectrum lights designed specifically for birds, but there is controversy over how much good those do, and how safe they are.

What part of the world are you in?

I wouldnt say you should be "overly" worried, but realize that a trim that severe likely has caused him some major insecurity. Be patient with him if he seems to bite first and ask questions later. Also, he may already have injuries because of this clip. Are you able to take him to an avian vet? He may also keep the habit of plucking after his feathers grow out. It's hard to tell right now. Be sure to keep his mind busy with lots of toys, interaction, new experiences, and things to shred. That should help if he is plucking out of boredom.

OP
R

ranasrule

Aug 2, 2015
I believe they molt 1-2 times a year. However there are things that can trigger a molt, such as extreme diet change and extreme change in how much sunlight he can get. If you can feed him LOTS of fresh veggies and fruits and sprouts, and get him in sunshine (with the option to go in the shade and be sure he is safe and has cool water) for as much of the day as possible, he may go into a molt very soon. It would also be wonderful if you could give him a good soaking bath once a day and let him dry in the sun.

Of course as I say this i realize it is winter for a lot of people and very cold. Obviously dont take him out in the cold. Windows filter out the rays that birds need, so putting him near a window won't do much good and could just let drafts get to him. You may consider full spectrum lights designed specifically for birds, but there is controversy over how much good those do, and how safe they are.

What part of the world are you in?

I wouldnt say you should be "overly" worried, but realize that a trim that severe likely has caused him some major insecurity. Be patient with him if he seems to bite first and ask questions later. Also, he may already have injuries because of this clip. Are you able to take him to an avian vet? He may also keep the habit of plucking after his feathers grow out. It's hard to tell right now. Be sure to keep his mind busy with lots of toys, interaction, new experiences, and things to shred. That should help if he is plucking out of boredom.

Thanks so much for your detailed advice.Winter is just ending here in Pakistan.I give him a mix of seed and veggies/fruit.He sits on his big pirch right by the window and that that gets him a fair amount of sunshine.You are right about the insecurity part as he is very talkative and whistles a lot(specially at my wife lol) and readily steps up onto anyone's hand BUT will under no circumstances will he allow his wings to be touched.He also is constantly preening under his wings.I give him a mist bath 2 times a week but as you suggested I will start giving him a good soaking bath once a day and let him dry in the sun. I still cant believe the last owner butchered his wings in that manner.

Thanks again for all your help.:)

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
As soon as the weather allows, please take him outside with you for as much of the day as possible. The window glass filters the light and really takes away most of the usefulness. Best of luck, please keep us updated!

OP
R

ranasrule

Aug 2, 2015
As soon as the weather allows, please take him outside with you for as much of the day as possible. The window glass filters the light and really takes away most of the usefulness. Best of luck, please keep us updated!

Tanks and will do

Most Reactions