Building your Alex's Trust

Regan

Dec 31, 2015
Parrots
Alexandrine
In the month that I have had my alex I have learnt a LOT!
He was parent raised and I knew from the start that building a bond with him was going to be a worth while challenge. He had his favourite foods, but didn't think they were good enough to do anything for... so I could only tell him he was good and give him a break when he had done something good. He was stepping up in a week and since then not much had changed.
UNTIL! I discovered the only way we were going to move forward was build trust.
(This may sound like a corny story but I want to share to those who are stumped on what to do next)
He had his play stand on top of his cage that he spends most of his outside time on. I began to show him that he could perch on other things to, like chairs, desks and eventually the couch. Each one gradually building his confidence to step onto new things and wait. Some times when he wasn't sure he would choose me over the object and then I knew he trusted me enough.

Hopefully this helps other people as much as it helped me :)

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
That's awesome to hear. Alexandrines tend not to be as bold as other birds. My Alex took two years to enjoy petting (though he was always affectionate in other ways). Slow and steady with most birds is always my motto.

OP
Regan

Regan

Dec 31, 2015
Parrots
Alexandrine
He's so shy but gentle... Wouldn't hurt a fly.

OP
Regan

Regan

Dec 31, 2015
Parrots
Alexandrine
UPDATE:
In the time that I have had my Alex, he will step up but never take food from me... UNTIL TODAY. Today was the first time he was brave enough to lick bird nectar off my finger and take sunflower seeds.
To tell you the truth, I never really though I had this much patiences lol.

Django

May 12, 2016
Parrots
Alexandrine Parakeet
Thats the difference as you mentioned Parent Raised and Human Raised babies.

I have Django when he was 25days old hand fed baby. He loves eating food from my hand as i have been feeding him till now the baby food he is 2months old and now he is testing other food i don't feed him by hand keep it in a bowl for him to try it out.

It's quiet diff from other larger parrot who can bond that well you know. the mind i guess is very diff.

OP
Regan

Regan

Dec 31, 2015
Parrots
Alexandrine
In the last few weeks Russell has become a completely different bird! She is still nervous but is such a sticky beak for sunflower seeds, she sits on my shoulder and makes cat? Noises (squeaks of some sort) and has learnt to give kisses <3. I'm having a feeling she is coming into her bluffing stage

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Regan, you got it. Slow an steady. Work with her every nite. Read up on the progress I have made with Salty. Teaching tricks is a great way to build trust and keep your parrot interested in you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts