feather loss?

theresema

Jun 19, 2023
Parrots
kakarikis
Hi, one of my birds has just had a bath and it looks like she has no feathers on her chest and the skin doesn’t look the best underneath. i have never seen her plucking her feathers. what could be the reason for this??

Attachments

• EDDB2509-F8C1-4FC1-8BDE-3288CAC12B66.jpeg
    EDDB2509-F8C1-4FC1-8BDE-3288CAC12B66.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 28

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

Do you have a picture of what she looks like dry? This appears like really wet feathers that are just separated apart.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We so commonly underestimate the true volume of feathers and are commonly surprised by what happens when we see them wet. This is especially true during this time of year in the Great White North as they have reduced the volume of their under feathers on their chest.

We also get a clear view of their really odd appearing skin and are commonly surprised as we know what our thick skin looks like and find their very thin skin a surprise.

Remember that birds are by design to be very light as flight is the foundation of their design!

OP
T

theresema

Jun 19, 2023
Parrots
kakarikis
Welcome to the forums!

Do you have a picture of what she looks like dry? This appears like really wet feathers that are just separated apart.
yeah she looks okay when dry, maybe just a little dent in her feathers is visible

Attachments

• D6DFF883-A4E0-43BE-8AE9-6975FA59A845.png
    D6DFF883-A4E0-43BE-8AE9-6975FA59A845.png
    602.9 KB · Views: 25

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Looks totally normal to me. Wet feathers look very thin and sparse and bird skin is very thin and delicate.
If you think about it, a lot of us humans with thinner, soft, fine hair show a lot of scalp when our hair is wet for similar reasons. Wet hairs stick together like wet feathers do.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Birds always look so funny when they're wet! It's very normal to be able to see their skin whilst wet as well

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Looks totally normal to me. Wet feathers look very thin and sparse and bird skin is very thin and delicate.
Yeah. Our birds don't look so good without their full feather covering. Just take a look at the October 2023 parrot of the month contest photos and you can see my budgie Rocky as a naked 10 day old baby in nothing but her birthday suit- nothing but inner beauty!
It's totally normal for wet matted feathers to make our adult birdies look half feathered.

Most Reactions

Latest posts