Feathers under the wing

polk203ct

Sep 28, 2016
Connecticut
Parrots
Beaker - Sun Conure
I tired searching but couldn't find a topic that answered my question so I hope someone might be able to give me some insightful help and information.

So my sun conure Beaker is roughly a year old. His feather all over his body are nice, bright, and in great shape. My worry is that the feathers under his wings right up against his body don't look so great. I always see him tucking his head under his wings and frantically moving his head for a few moments and usually see a little white feather fluff out. Upon inspecting his wings, the feathers under there look thinned out...like he's been pulling them out...maybe?? Could this be a sign of boredom or stress? Maybe molting? :confused:

This picture I found is a reference as to what he is doing, but more so with his head much further tucked in and his wing above his head
B0394x-african-grey-parrot-cleaning-wing.jpg

Beaker is in a cage meant for bigger birds so he has a lot of room, many different sized perches, multiple different types of toys for him to interact with, and he spends a very good amount on top of his play set atop his cage or on me/with me when I am home and take him out. He's very social and loves his time out of his cage but is also content in there.

Is this something I should be worrying about ASAP? Just noticed this change in the past few weeks and figured it might pass or be him molting, but am getting concerned as time goes on.

Any help/advise would be very thankful! Thank you in advance!

janquito

Aug 10, 2016
Wisconsin
Parrots
Two green cheek conures, one sun conure, and two quakers.
Is this behavior something new or something you just never checked? To me the little white fluffy feathers are normal "downy" feathers that do come out. I'll have to check but I believe my conure's (I have a sun & gcc) fathers look sparser under the wings. How long have you had him? It could be part of molting. Does he take baths? Mine take a bath every other day.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Your one year old, is more likely working on the Wing feathers than the body feathers. The areas under the wings commonly have fewer body feathers than the back. In addition, they are commonly not as 'neat' as the body feather on the back since they are constantly being shifted as the Wing feathers adjust against the body. The lost of downy feathers is very common.

Plucking is the very specific lose of feathers to the point that bare spots can be found in specific areas over extended time periods.

More than likely your young Parrot is just preening in the areas under the Wings to maintain the quality of its Wing feathers.

For a one year old to look as great as you say he does is really unusual, since their ruff-housing commonly have them looking like the majority of their feathers are moments from falling apart.

OP
P

polk203ct

Sep 28, 2016
Connecticut
Parrots
Beaker - Sun Conure
Is this behavior something new or something you just never checked? To me the little white fluffy feathers are normal "downy" feathers that do come out. I'll have to check but I believe my conure's (I have a sun & gcc) fathers look sparser under the wings. How long have you had him? It could be part of molting. Does he take baths? Mine take a bath every other day.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I've had Beaker since mid September when I rescued him. This behavior is the first time I am witnessing it. I looked under his wings again and the feathers do look more sparse than elsewhere. What he usually has come out from under his wings are just small white feathers, almost in a tear drop shape...not body feathers.

He does take baths when he is in the mood to. I just started to give him baths by misting him with luke warm water or fill a bowl in my kitchen sink with luke warm water so he can take him time and get as wild as he wants :)

Other than that his behavior is great and he has a great appetite, other than not showing much interest in fresh fruits or veggies...but rather preferring them dried.

OP
P

polk203ct

Sep 28, 2016
Connecticut
Parrots
Beaker - Sun Conure
Your one year old, is more likely working on the Wing feathers than the body feathers. The areas under the wings commonly have fewer body feathers than the back. In addition, they are commonly not as 'neat' as the body feather on the back since they are constantly being shifted as the Wing feathers adjust against the body. The lost of downy feathers is very common.

Plucking is the very specific lose of feathers to the point that bare spots can be found in specific areas over extended time periods.

More than likely your young Parrot is just preening in the areas under the Wings to maintain the quality of its Wing feathers.

For a one year old to look as great as you say he does is really unusual, since their ruff-housing commonly have them looking like the majority of their feathers are moments from falling apart.

Thank you. From what you have described to me it sounds like he going after his downy feathers and preening. But is a high frequency of it OK is it too much? That is where my worries and fear are.

Beaker doesn't have a cage mate, he is alone so he doesn't rough house, thats why I believe he looks greats, not to brag. The only feather he had fall apart was one of his tail feathers which broke and flipped and he worked on it until it fell off. He enjoys playing his his toys and breaking up toys that are made of a soft woods meant to be destroyed by a bird. He also likes to ring his bells a lot along with head bobbing to music (I leave the radio on for him when I'm at work) and climbing his ladders and bars. I have him in a cage that is big for a single conure.

Most Reactions