Feeding hurt budgie.

BezKa

Jun 9, 2018
Warsaw, Poland
Parrots
Two quackers
One Red bellied green cheeked conure (i don't know how are they called in English...), two male budgies
Hi, I have a problem. My parrot has hurt his beak. I'm not sure, but it seems like he can't eat his seeds properly- he never tried anything else, all fruit and snacks were ignored. Now I'm at loss- We will have a vet over soon, but it's few days. I can't starve my bird, how do I feed him? Should I force him to eat some soft fruits like banana or peel the tiny seeds by hand and make some mush out of them? How to make him eat at all, since he won't take anything from me?
I know I'm at fault for even letting him get hurt, but I need help now.

OP
BezKa

BezKa

Jun 9, 2018
Warsaw, Poland
Parrots
Two quackers
One Red bellied green cheeked conure (i don't know how are they called in English...), two male budgies
Hi, I have a problem. My parrot has hurt his beak. I'm not sure, but it seems like he can't eat his seeds properly- he never tried anything else, all fruit and snacks were ignored. Now I'm at loss- We will have a vet over soon, but it's few days. I can't starve my bird, how do I feed him? Should I force him to eat some soft fruits like banana or peel the tiny seeds by hand and make some mush out of them? How to make him eat at all, since he won't take anything from me?
I know I'm at fault for even letting him get hurt, but I need help now.

UPDATE:
He's trying to eat. I don't hear characteristic sounds of peeoling the seeds though. So my ask still stands, even if I'm wrong and he is eating.

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ C̶o̶n̶u̶r̶e̶ terrorist Cytrynka (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fiona (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fionek (M)
Try to find someone experienced in handfeeding and try to feed him with a syringe. Youre from warsaw so should be easy. There are some polish parrot oriented groups on fb.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hopefully the vet is certified avian or equivalent. Depending on injury, a skilled vet can do amazing things to fix defects and injuries.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Yes, you need to find some commercially sold baby bird hand-feeding formula, like he ate when he was raised. It's nutrient-dense and is the only thing that will substitute the nutrition he needs...Fruit won't sustain him, it's basically sugar and water. So if he's not eating any seeds or pellets at all, that's what he needs...The other thing you could try is buying some parrot pellets and softening them with a little fruit juice, and then see if he'll eat the softened pellets, but if he didn't eat pellets prior to this then he probably won't...So the parrot hand-feeding formula is what you need...But you can't at all force him to eat it with an oral syringe, you need to find someone who knows what they are doing so you don't Aspirate the formula into his lungs...

Most Reactions

Latest posts