Feeding - mess and waste, portion size

OP
S

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
She seems to dig in to everything, she just doesn't seem to make much disappear (other than what goes from her dish onto the floor). As I said, I think I'm giving her too much, I think I have to get used to birdie sized portions, and not people sized.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Here's the page that talks about using pistachio shells as a means to create foraging opportunities in the birds dishes.

Healthy Facts

Likewise, large pebbles might work as well as long as the bird can't eat them.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
If you can get them..... mix some pistachio shells in with dry food.
Thanks I can buy some pistachios, and give her the shells, but they have a lot of salt on them usually, don't they? Do I need to wash them, or is the salt ok for her? Can she have the pistachio nuts as well for treats?

I'm not sure how I could easily spread her food about. I had her hanging "treat thing" up towards the middle of her cage (it opens at one end) but I've moved it up near the door because it was too difficult to put her grass in it. I probably need to rethink her cage organisation - I've set up her food and feeding perch right in front of the door, which makes access to the rest of her cage for me a pain because I have to go under her perch - but it's the easiest for access to her bowls... Maybe I'll put it up higher. Maybe make a longer one and put it diagonally instead of across.... hmmm. So many ideas, so little knowledge :D

I buy the roasted unsalted ones. I don't give them salted nuts.

OP
S

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Thanks, any time I've had pistachios they've been very salty. Hopefully they'll also have unsalted at the shop. That hanging foraging toy is similar to the one she has. She just grabs it, she doesn't have any issues with trying to get the lid up. I suppose I could just put some of her food in the foraging cups up the other end so she has to climb over there to have it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts