Female Green Cheek Conure smells bad

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
Hello, I have a 3 year old female Green Cheek Conure and she has smelled really bad for a few months now, she bathes almost every day, has a good diet, and has her water changed twice a day, and her cage is clean, but on her back and wings she just seems to smell really bad, none of my other birds smell, and I heard that this is not normal and could be an infection. The smell does seem to go away sometimes, but it is worse now. What could this be?

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
You need to get your bird into the vet as soon as possible. Smells can indicate a infection or even cancer. Our birds are amazing at hiding illnesses for long times before showing any outward signs. Good Luck

OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
Thank you very much for telling me. I will get her to the vet as soon as I can. I knew it wasn't normal, I was just trying to find out what it was that was causing it exactly.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sounds like a possible infection of the preening gland which is located at the base of their rump, right between the wings. It could also be another sort of infection.

Vet check by an avian vet is the best thing you can do.

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
Our green cheek smelled too.. It was a yeast infection... She'd had it before we get her.... An good avian vet should be able to find it by checking the birds droppings..

She's over it now... Thank god.. Good luck with yours.

Mariahh0721

May 9, 2013
Milan,mi
Parrots
Sun conure "Akiro"
Indian ring neck "Ollie"
Indian ring neck "kiwi"
Green cheek conure "squeakers"
CAG"Barney"
Does this just apply to conures or all birds? One of my indian ringneck smells, we gave him a bath and he smells better but he still smells a little off. He just went to the vet last Friday and she said he was healthy, it is possible he's just a smelly bird:confused:

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
All birds. And when it comes down to it all animals, even humans. If there is a change of body smell , of just a off smell that is not right. Please get medical help.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Different parrots have different smells. Amazons are known for having a "musky" scent to them, some would even go as far as to describe it as a "gym sock" kind of smell. However, this smell is quite normal for the species to have.

Lorikeets and eclectus may smell "fruity" based on their diet. Cockatoos may smell "powdery" since they are 'powder birds'. Cockatiels may also smell 'powdery' or like "popcorn" (not sure how that's possible, but I've smelled it, too!).

In short, birds do have different smells to them and that's normal... but if a bird all of a sudden smells differently, and it's not due to a diet change, then the bird could be sick.

Mariahh0721

May 9, 2013
Milan,mi
Parrots
Sun conure "Akiro"
Indian ring neck "Ollie"
Indian ring neck "kiwi"
CAG"Barney"
He's smelled like that since I got him, so I'm not sure If its normal ill be sure to take him to the vet and address that specifically I don't see y

Mariahh0721

May 9, 2013
Milan,mi
Parrots
Sun conure "Akiro"
Indian ring neck "Ollie"
Indian ring neck "kiwi"
CAG"Barney"
Sorry my sun conure was walking around on the screen

I don't see why the bet would tell us if he's healthy if there may be a problem:(:confused:

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Our green cheek smelled too.. It was a yeast infection... She'd had it before we get her.... An good avian vet should be able to find it by checking the birds droppings..

She's over it now... Thank god.. Good luck with yours.

How did you treat the yeast infection? I heard some vets recommend adding a bit of cider vinegar to drinking water for a straight 1 week.

Boomer, my sun conure, has a lovely smell (to me anyway). Kind of fruity and baby powder smell. When I smell under the wing (I know I shouldn't), he's got that Boomer smell I love lol! The best way I could describe it is this fruity-sweet chicken curry?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I beg your pardon, my Lola does not and has never smelled "like a gym sock"

Well, if it helps make Lola feel any better, I don't think she or any other 'zon smells like gym socks either! :xmas_lol2

How did you treat the yeast infection? I heard some vets recommend adding a bit of cider vinegar to drinking water for a straight 1 week.

The ACV "may" work for a light infection, however it's possible for it to not help at all or make things worse. If a bird has an infection, it's almost always best to use medications prescribed from an avian vet for the specific infection. General medications (such as Baytril, an antibiotic) are not always as effective as using specific medications, and even then, it may be required to try several medications to find one that the bird *will* respond to if they don't respond to the first(s).

OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
Hello, thank you for responding, Cookie does not smell as bad now, but I will get her checked over anyway. I will try the apple cider vinegar.

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
This is almost a year we've had Rain..and her funky smell is coming back..guess I know now what it is...its that time folks..

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
So basically what this resurrected thread is saying is that its a good thing I inhale my birds like crack:p (I don't even want to know how much bird dust is in my lungs:eek:) Though it is depressing that Loki has lost his baby smell:5_sad::19_indiff

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Reserection!!!! Beware this is an old thread. Ok my GCC smelled bad and it was a yeast infection. My CAV wanted me to spray her with dilute chrorahexadine (spell?) I myself and other members didn't feel comfortable with that! EllenD even pointed out risks to eyesight! Members did recommend probiotics! Using the probiotics in addition to taking her outside for 15 min to 30 min daily sun/shade helped her get over it in a few days. I have become a believer of probiotics!!! And I am glad other members smell their birds! Tho the yeasty musty smell was so bad I didn't need to sniff her. She makes soup of her water all day long, and I empty and clean it all day long nit sure if this lead to the yeast..

Most Reactions