Hopeful future sun conure owner

Willc

May 14, 2013
Hello everyone! I wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions. As my title states, I hope to be a future sun conure owner in the coming months. I am wanting to do as much research as I can, and would love any advice you may offer. I have been lurking on these forums for the past few days, absorbing as much as I can from previous post.

A little back story:

My family has always been big on pets and animals. I grew up with snakes, birds, cats, dogs, lizards, and turtles. I have always been around some type of animal or pet, except for my time in the Army. After turning 18, I joined the U.S. Army and served for 6 years and 6 months. I was medically discharged for sleep and anxiety related issues, and still have trouble with it today. I have been out for just over a year, and it has been a hard adjustment. I am still unemployed, as it is very hard to find a job that understands my situation. Sometimes I go days with out wanting to talk to anyone. Other times, I go several days with no sleep. The most I have gone is five days with out any sleep!

My therapist has really encouraged me to get a companion pet. I haven't had a pet since I have been out of the Army. I recently purchased two parakeets from the worst place, PetSmart. I knew that it was not smart to buy them from there, but I just couldn't help myself. They looked so scared in the glass cage, and I knew I could provide a better environment then what they had. I have worked very hard over the last few weeks calming them down.

When I first brought Indigo and Chompy home, it was a nightmare! Indigo escaped from the box and was flying around my room. I had forgotten most of what I learned as a child when it comes to handling a bird. I quickly turned off the fan, and stuck my hand between the blades. I was surprised at how stupid I was to leave the fan on when there was a chance for them to fly out! Indigo and I were so lucky to not have any injuries happen.

I later talked with some family members and did a bit of research myself. I had clipped wings as a child, and knew what to do. I just wanted to refresh myself. I clipped both of their wings and am proud to say I did a great job. They have since calmed down and are much safer. I keep the cage open during the day and have plenty of toys inside and outside. They both love to climb around the cage and even hop on my bed for a break!

They have even started to trust me enough to eat from my hand. This was a big moment for me, because just the sight of a hand scares them. The pet store used a fishing net to get them out of the cage. I know that they were not handled very well at the store, and I don't even know who the breeder was. I can only say that I plan on giving them a wonderful life, and will try to avoid those stress inducing things.

My plans for a sun conure:

What I am really wanting is a sun conure. I have loved suns every since I was a child. I have been working with a local, home based breeder for a while now and plan on checking out the babies soon. I feel that I am ready for the challenge of owning a conure, but would love any advice that you may offer. I will continue to read over these forums as time goes on.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Budgies at pet stores are rarely hand raised unless specified... which means that these birds are often parent raised birds who have no trust in humans. It is also not a requirement to clip their wings in order to tame them... it just makes it harder for them to fly away (aka escape the big scary creature!) when you initially try to interact with them.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUx81WHTUwk]1 Bird in hand Leads to Many - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlSm4uFZzVU]More Budgies!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

I do understand the reasons for clipping, but I no longer agree with most of them. I used to clip myself for the very same reasons...

As far as a sun conure, please understand that they can be very noisy and nippy birds. They can also be very needy and demanding of attention. I would highly recommend reading up on clicker training and positive reinforcement as well as foraging. Learn ways to positive interact with your birds, learn how to communicate with them, learn how to read their body language so as to avoid bites and learn how to keep them stimulated.

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
Hey and welcome! Thank you for your service. I love conures, they are so great! Suns are SO gorgeous! I have a blue crown and a mixed little peach front and they are such a riot! Please take photos of the babies so we can see them too when you go and meet them! I've had a lot of stress in my life lately and it's really great having my birds to come home to. I also think it's great that you gave those parakeets a nice home. I would take them all home too if I could! Can't wait to hear more about your journey into the conure kingdom!

Mariahh0721

May 9, 2013
Milan,mi
Parrots
Sun conure "Akiro"
Indian ring neck "Ollie"
Indian ring neck "kiwi"
Green cheek conure "squeakers"
CAG"Barney"
Welcome to the forum, I've had a total of two sun conures which I know isn't much but I've learned Alot about them. For me they have been the best birds. Both of mine had been very cuddly and loved to be out and around me. The one I have now ,Akiro is such a sweetie he's so spoiled though:) both of mine don't really scream which I don't know if that's just luck or how I've trained them. And I got my first one when he was 7 and I got Akiro when he was 2 months. One thing though he loves to chew which is normal through conures, he normally goes through a toy every one to two days. Which is normal for a sun conure.

If you have Any other questions I'm sure me or someone else on here is willing to answer
I'm not very good at answering things yet I'm new to the forums too, but I try to help:09:

BirdBrains2233

Apr 16, 2013
Media
Upstate South Carolina
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Powder Blue Quaker and a Moluccan Too!
Welcome to the Forum!!! Above me has posted getting them as a baby would be the best bet. First thing (VERY important) is to make sure you have him/her vetted to make sure health is good and is disease free. Also, if you are working with a breeder, see if the breeder would teach you to hand feed so you can be a part of the process a bit earlier and that can help to build a bond. Other than that, time and patience is all you can really do. Browse thru the forums, tons of great advice from lots of experienced people. I am also a retired vet 10 years (medical discharge from army from 2 survived IED explosions, i was EOD at the time) so i know very well the need of a companion pet. Either way GL with what ya do, and Drive On as we always do.

OP
W

Willc

May 14, 2013
First, I would like to thank everyone for the kind welcome! I am certain that it is common to get new members here that seem interested, only to disappear and likely abandon their new parrots. I want to assure everyone that I will not be one of those. I plan on talking here frequently, and updating everyone on my birds! Speaking of which, I thought I would include a picture of Chompy and Indigo that I took this morning.

971729_10200246313575111_2014673267_n.jpg

Monica, I really appreciate the videos. This is exactly what happens with my budgies! Indigo will come right up to my hand and start eating. Chompy will sit in the back checking the situation out. After a few moments, Chompy will slowly come closer and closer. It is amazing to watch. I am so glad that they have calmed down and seem to be enjoying their new home. As for conures being loud, I think this will be okay. I am moving in a few weeks to my new home. I will be purchasing a home, and don't think it will be much of an issue with the birds. I would be really concerned if I lived in an apartment, though.

Lintini, I plan on taking tons of photos! I am so excited about seeing the babies. Thank you for your kind words about me taking the budgies. I am just glad that I was able to get them out of there. I know that it will only be a couple more weeks before more are in the same store, but I am glad I was able to help. They are wonderful animals and have already made my home so much better.

Mariah, Akiro sounds like such a sweet bird! Is he the one in your photo? I have been stocking up on toys for a few weeks now just for my future sun conure. I must have 15 or 20 already. I love to go to random stores and websites to look at all of the neat toys! I think I am addicted to shopping for bird toys. I am so excited, I just wish that the birds were already weened. I will surely take you up on your offer for future communications. I would love the chance to get to know everyone here better.

BirdBrains, I will definitely set up a vet appointment when the time gets closer. I have already checked out local avian vets and there are two about 15 minutes from me. One is even a 24 hour hospital, just for birds! I am quite sure that Tammy, the breeder, will let me help hand feed. She is really nice and has invited me to come out any time I want during the weening process. The babies will be just a few weeks old next week, at which point she will actually start to hand feed them and ween them. I am aloud to come see them any time I want to at that point. I don't think I want to attempt to ween one myself, but I would love to feed them while I am visiting! Thank you so much for your service, and I am sorry to hear about your experiences. As an infantryman myself, I have a lot of respect for EOD. You couldn't be more right about the need of a companion pet. The more I have explored this, the more I agree with you and my therapist. I am just so excited about finally getting him or her! I will make sure to read here as much as I can, and learn as much as I can.

Last edited:
OP
W

Willc

May 14, 2013
Mariahh, He is so pretty! You are one lucky person. His colors are just outstanding. You couldn't be more right. waiting is just so hard! I haven't gotten to visit yet, but I have seen the parents before. I just can't wait to visit. She doesn't allow anyone to visit the babies before they are a few weeks old. During this time, they are being raised by their mothers. After that, she takes them inside and starts the weening process. I will go to see the babies for the first time in 13 days. I just can't wait!! I will be sure to take lots of pictures and post some of them here.

Mariahh0721

May 9, 2013
Milan,mi
Parrots
Sun conure "Akiro"
Indian ring neck "Ollie"
Indian ring neck "kiwi"
Green cheek conure "squeakers"
CAG"Barney"
Thank you! I remember when I first saw him he was the most adorable bird he's the runt though so he's smaller then normal suns. I didn't get him from a breeder though it was a store that got baby birds from a breeder and they raised them .
Those next 13 days are going to feel like they are going so slowly but it will all be worth it when you see him

Most Reactions