Few questions

fOmey

May 1, 2017
Hello everybody,

I inherited a Alexandrian parrot named Ronnie, his a beautiful bird. I believe he is now a adult, I am unsure exactly how old he is.. although he has developed a black ring around his neck so I guess that makes him a adult ?

We have bonded, he seems to recognize me and get excited when I enter the room. My family believe there's a bit of bromance there.

I've wanted to purchase him some more toys, although was unsure what to get him.. He currently has a huge ring which he gradually remove's from a key-ring, seems to enjoy that. Anything I should avoid ?

He also has a plastic swing which he seems to have fallen in love with, He humps his swing and seems to feed it ? hahaha is this normal behavior ? Guess the little guy is a little horny.. its hilarious, he squeaks like a squeaky toy while his doing the deed.

He seems to love peanuts, any other treats ? Anything I should avoid ? I try give him fresh fruit every once in a while, even a sip of my drinks, in particular OJ.. I hope I'm not doing more harm then good..

I really just want to make sure he has the best quality of life and happy..

Would appreciate any reply's... Thanks guys.

Last edited:

maverickbull

Jun 18, 2016
Bangalore, India
Parrots
Alexandrine (hulk)
IRN (honey)
CAG (red)
Hey there... welcome to the forum :)

you will find a lot of threads on behavior, diet et al...

please do upload some pics of ronnie

so my 2 cents
please remove that toy... he is getting a little hormonal around it... since the toy cannot reciprocate his "love" it will turn into frustration & into other behavior problems later. Just drop the fat & protein content in his diet a bit to see if he eases off.

Alexes love chewing... get him a lot of chewing & shredding toys... He will be at it for hours. Get Foraging toys also as this can take his mind off his other toy (for humping) :)

Peanuts - not the best one to give. I'd move off to Almonds, Walnuts et al.

Alexes are total foodies... you can give them all ( bird safe) foods... they will at least taste it once. They do get bored with the same foods again & again so you may wanna prepare multiple options every couple of weeks.

All the best... do keep us updated.

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
Hi, I have an Alex too.

Definitely get toys to shred and munch on with his big beak. Don't expect them to last very long though. Kids toys from charity shops can be good, they sometimes need some adaptations to make them safe though.

I try giving more veg than fruit because of the lower sugar content. He's mainly on Harrisons though.

I treat and train with almonds and pistachios.

He also loves unstable perches, swings, ropes etc and would stay on these all the time, but that wouldn't be good for his nails.

I'd love to see photos too!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts