Fidgety conure.

J86

May 22, 2011
My conure of 3 years has always been sweet and somewhat sociable. But i noticed lately hes been rather skiddish around well, everything. He would normally walk around tables with no problem, but once he sees an item he doesnt recognize( like a soda can ) he freaks out. Anyway to get him accustomed to things? I should mention he has his flight feathers. I did read somewhere that birds that are clipped are more calm is this true?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Hi J86,

In your conure's situation, I don't think clipping him will make him less fidgety or skiddish. There is another reason for this and I don't believe it has anything to do with the fact that his flight feathers are grown (if anything, I'd imagine he would be more brazen). I don't think clipping wings makes birds more calm either, maybe less hyper due to lessened mobility. But if they are scared, clipped wings won't make them less scared.

Some birds do develop phobias as they get older. Has anything traumatic happened recently? Any changes, subtle or obvious in his living space? Could there be wild birds hanging close to the window that might be putting him on edge? New noises around the house? Birds usually dislike change in their territory, so anything new may be met with suspicion or fear.

Last edited:
OP
J

J86

May 22, 2011
Hi, thanks for the reply. Actually no , not that i know of. He's pretty calm when hes around me and a few people he sees often. Its just when hes near objects that are new to him. Which puzzles me since things like that never bothered him before.

Most Reactions