FINALLY PICS of Griffin - Ruppell's Parrot!!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Wow Julie, Griffin is a real beauty! You must be so excited. What a gorgeous flock you have. I've learned a lot reading this thread. Thank you for sharing the experience. :)

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Wow Julie, Griffin is a real beauty! You must be so excited. What a gorgeous flock you have. I've learned a lot reading this thread. Thank you for sharing the experience. :)

Thanks Allee! What a nice thing to say :)
I'm still going to have to research to satisfy my curiosity about why some babies like Griffin come out with the (temporary) extensive yellow body color, and most like parrotlover1176's Nova are all gray. Actually, in the end (when they're adults) Nova will be more colorful than Griffin. The females keep the blue underparts.

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
What a good looking little bird!!

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Wow Griffin is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

I have never seen a Ruppells parrot before, i am glad i have now!

So explain this to me who is not very clever with bird species :eek: Why do they lose their yellow when they get older?

The transition from yellow to grey will be amazing to see.. You will have to take lots of pictures as he starts changing!

Is that blue that he has underneath him as well? and the yellow outline on his wing feathers.. Ahh, he is just so stunning <3

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
:eek: WHAT a beautiful baby boy, Julie! Griffin is STUNNING! I've never seen the yellow vest on any young Ruppells. WOW!

How long will it take for him to lose the yellow?

You must be SO excited about having him home soon. :D

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
Good Morning Julie!

Griffin is BEAUTIFUL!

I also never saw a Ruppells parrot

Like Tab said, is that blue on his bottom, does he grow out of that?

He looks like a very sweet baby, Very Lucky you got him!!

Joe

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Wow Griffin is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!
I have never seen a Ruppells parrot before, i am glad i have now!
So explain this to me who is not very clever with bird species :eek: Why do they lose their yellow when they get older?
The transition from yellow to grey will be amazing to see.. You will have to take lots of pictures as he starts changing!
Is that blue that he has underneath him as well? and the yellow outline on his wing feathers.. Ahh, he is just so stunning <3

WOW, good thing I checked my Subscribed threads for this one!! I totally missed the last several posts :11:

Thanks Tab! :) It is strange (and unexplainable even by Poicephalus experts, and authorities on Ruppell's) as to WHY SOME baby Ruppell's come out with the yellow vests and blue rumps, and some come out plain gray with a little blue rump. They do know that it has absolutely nothing to do with gender. It just seems random.
The gorgeous bright blue (and light blue) on Griffin will go away when he molts into his big boy colors. The mature males are all gray with bright yellow shoulder caps and dark yellow leggings.
It is the FEMALES who retain the blue, as well as the yellow shoulders and legs. So Jaime 'parrotlover1176' is getting Nova her female soon (who is all gray with blue rump), so as our birds grow up you'll see her Nova start to color up, and my Griffin lose his color! Lol.

:eek: WHAT a beautiful baby boy, Julie! Griffin is STUNNING! I've never seen the yellow vest on any young Ruppells. WOW!
How long will it take for him to lose the yellow?
You must be SO excited about having him home soon. :D

Thanks Wendy :D I'm not sure how long Griffin will keep the yellow vest, but I better take lots of pictures before it goes away!
From what I read, it will probably be gone within months? I think it slowly molts away until it is gone, and they attain adult color at around a year. We'll have to see!

Good Morning Julie!

Griffin is BEAUTIFUL!
I also never saw a Ruppells parrot
Like Tab said, is that blue on his bottom, does he grow out of that?
He looks like a very sweet baby, Very Lucky you got him!!
Joe

Thanks so much Joe ;)... My first time seeing one too! I feel very lucky to have Griffin. He is SO tiny! His head and even his eyes are so much smaller than Robin. I thought the 5 smaller Poi's were more or less the same size, but maybe not? It's hard to find info. I should email the breeder who has his parents and ask questions. The breeder I got him from (different person) hand fed him. The breeder who owns the parents, Steve Garvin of Feather Tree, is THE authority on Ruppell's parrots in the US, imported them, and has more than anyone in the country. Steve is also the breeder who "invented" many of the popular GCC mutations.

What a beauty. Is he as big as a blue crown conure?
Thanks Superbird :). I've always thought your avatar and username was so cute whenever I saw it.
A Blue Crown Conure is both a different shape and bigger. Right now at 3 1/2 months, Griffin is only 111g. Pretty tiny!

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Omg that face!!! What a cute bird. The yellow against the grey is so elegant.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Wow he is beautiful. Husband said he looks like candy. I shake my head and giggle lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts