Finally talking!

natalie

Feb 8, 2010
Media
Albums
Upstate NY
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw & Cockatiel
Holly finally began talking to me today!

She began screaming and calling out to me after I walked out of the room. So I called back to her and said "Holly Coco!!" And she retunrs saying "Coco!!" about 5 times....which turned into her getting excited and saying "Hello" and "Love you"

How cute and exciting!! She is doing so well. :blue1:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
You and Holly are a good pair for sure. How old is she? My Rosie is ll months old now and only says a very weak hello so far. Guess she is just a slow maturing grey. Congrats!!

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
awww having a talking bird can be sooo much fun! My paulie's favorite word is goodmorning... which he says over and over no matter what time of day it is. He also loves to laugh hysterically and then say you're so funny to himself.

OP
natalie

natalie

Feb 8, 2010
Media
Albums
Upstate NY
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw & Cockatiel
birdcrazy, that is adorable

Thank you for all the comments. SB, she is actually 19 years old. The woman I got her from said that she could talk, and I've been trying to get her to say a word to me, and then wham....just like that yesterday, she started! She was in such high spirits all day yesterday, playing and screaming and talking....just being a bird, and not an insecure creature not sure of what to do.

I'm so glad....but at the same time..... isn't this when all their trouble begins? :eek: ;)

My moluccan used to say a lot of words. She'd talk up a storm every morning. I hope Holly stays vocal, I really enjoy talking back and forth with her. ..We mutter to each other every morning....she has apparantly been teaching me some parrot words too.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Natalie well done, congrat's. Wonderful when they start, now you will not get her stop LoL. Keep talking and talking, you will be amazed how quickly they learn and respond.

I'm so glad....but at the same time..... isn't this when all their trouble begins? :eek:
Nope, the only trouble now is peace and quiet !!!!!

Ps. Natalie, please share some parrot words with us !!!!!!!! :grey:

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
That's so exciting!

Jade is trying to say...something...we aren't sure what. We hear a 1-syllable word and a 2 syllable word. Her "talking" voice is completely different from her regular voice.

According to everything I've read, Alexandrine's are good talkers, but nothing from Max yet. He's just a year old, and it's really okay with me if he never learns to talk.

My son thinks I should teach him to say "garrrrrrrr".

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Mishka was trying to saying something, we could not understand her.
It sounded something like shoboyeka.
This carried on for two weeks, eventually she was screaming shoboyeka all the time.
I have a list of everything I have taught her, went through the list, high and low.
EVENTUALLY it all made sense .....
She was trying to say Sharks forever.
When I said to her Sharks forever, she said it for the next week continuously.
Thank goodness for my list, otherwise she would think I am stupid LoL
What amazing memories they have !!!

Most Reactions