Finally.

FeatherBrain

May 20, 2013
Chicago
Well, Faust, my severe macaw baby, is home. Yes, he is indeed a he as we found out today - the DNA results are in. The antibiotics seem to have worked, he was given the OK to come home today with me after seeing our avian vet. It was recommended however that I medicate through the next two to three days during the "transition".

I think that during the time he was being medicated by our broker he was traumatized, as this bird is so afraid of anyone coming near him, let alone the sight of the syringe! This worries me. Before he was so open to anyone and everyone. Understandably, he's been through a lot of stress today with seeing the vet, taking a half hour ride to a new home with new surroundings and new people. I remember that two weeks ago when the vet gave him his medicine he was entirely calm. Now it's as if all hell has broken loose. The poor thing, I wish I could explain to him that I mean him no harm. I'm positive the broker must have done something to instill this fear into him...

He's covered in his cage now, in a room to the side which is dark and quiet. I'm pretty sure he's asleep. I'll have to give him his medication tomorrow morning... does anyone have any advice on how I could possibly make this easier for him, and avoid a bite as best as I can? This is just a terrible first impression I'm having to make on him... we were best buds two weeks ago, then I left him with the broker to be medicated so he could skip the stress of coming home, and boom, petrified bird. My heart aches, but I know that with time and patience, he'll come around.

I've also noticed that his poops have become more runny. He was handfed right before he came home by the broker. I'm going to keep an eye on it, but, could it possibly be from the stress of coming home? It's of a normal color, and he spent quite a good while climbing around his cage and playing with all of his toys. He also loves it when I read to him.

Once again, any advice will be appreciated whole heartedly. I promise that, once his being is at ease, I'll reward all of you with lots of pics!

:green2::green2::green2:

Seagulls

Jul 29, 2013
Parrots
Leon - Blue-Fronted Amazon | Damian - Goffin's Cockatoo
I had a bird that was on medication for most of a month. It is very traumatizing but they eventually realize its over. Sometimes, you just have to be a little rough, for the sake of the individual. Birds are more forgiving than people give them credit for.

Remember to give him plenty of positive experiences, too! If you are at all able, be by the bird as much as possible. Just do the normal things you do, with the bird nearby. Play soft music at a low volume, even.

From my experience, poop can get runny when they drink a lot or are stressed out. Fruit can also cause this, if you fed him any fresh fruits when you brought him home.

OP
F

FeatherBrain

May 20, 2013
Chicago
Just received an email from the broker that the bird should be medicated tonight as well. I felt terrible waking him up. It took me half an hour to towel him, he was PETRIFIED. He didn't nip, but he went for my shoulder. I blocked his viewpoint and gently draped the towel around him. I then administered the drug. He's hissing and raising his wings and feathers, beak open whenever I come near him... and during the experience he began to pant from the stress of it all. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow for more advice.

I made sure not to wince or back off when he did his intimidating display. I offered him treats afterward, two seeds, but he spit them out. I've left him to sleep now. Hopefully he'll be in a better mood tomorrow morning...

Seagulls

Jul 29, 2013
Parrots
Leon - Blue-Fronted Amazon | Damian - Goffin's Cockatoo
Some birds are just terrified of being held down in a towel. I gave meds to mine just by holding the back of the bird's head.

There's no way to really make it less traumatizing. You just have to do it.

I'd recommend giving him loving long before giving the medicine, and long after. So you're not starting on a bad note or ending on a bad note.

dulphinz

Apr 30, 2013
NH
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Coco
Female B&G- Tinker
Glad he's finally home, but sorry you have to go through all this stressfulness! Stinks that you have to do this when all you probably want to do is cuddle :). A healthy bird is important so I'm sure he'll realize that you are making him better :). Congrats again on yournew boy in the house:D

Arara

Jul 13, 2013
guadalajara
Parrots
A Shamrock macaw and a lilac crowned amazon
I am so glad that your baby is home!. I hope Faust will forgive you soon when he realizes that you saved his life. :) I kind of understand the pain of dealing with a frightened parrot. I used to have one like that but it was a different case.... They do get over it with time and love. I give you my best wishes and hopes he builds trust with you soon!

OP
F

FeatherBrain

May 20, 2013
Chicago
Hey everyone! Things have been going much better. Faust will now let me spoon feed him. Since he's been having formula for comfort, I give him the meds at the same time. No more stress! At least not on his behalf... I'm a whole 'nother story.

I have been dealing with a lot of new mommy anxiety. He's my first bird, so naturally, my own head has been driving me crazy. I'm so scared and nervous that I'm doing things wrong, even though we're making progress and it's just been two and a half days! It's crazy! I even started crying this morning out of the blue - I just blogged about it. I feel so discouraged and fear that I'm going to fail him. I don't know why. Has anyone experienced something like this with a first time bird? I didn't expect to feel like this at all. I even feel guilty about it.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
AAAWWW!!! HUGS to you!!! Yes, I can relate to having the baby blues. I felt similar after bringing home my Hunter 14 years ago. I was a nervous WRECK! Actually, coming to think of it....I felt the same way after bringing each one of my fids home. :eek:

You'll be fine. Everything will work out, you'll see. :)

Don't forget to take deep breaths. ;)

OP
F

FeatherBrain

May 20, 2013
Chicago
Thanks JerseyWendy! This day in itself has been even better. He's becoming more comfortable and is starting to push his limits already. But I dealt with it by ignoring and things are coming along. I already feel more confident!

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
You'll prolly let your next bird juggle knives...

Had to give shots to Hahnzel now twice. I found that speed, efficiency and copious amounts of verbal and physical rewards afterwards helped him get over each shot time quickly.

My wife enjoys me trying to catch him with a hand towel, kind of like chasing a naked baby thru the house trying to put on a new diaper.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts