WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
**Did You Know? Just because it floods doesn’t mean fire ants will go away. Fire ants can link up and create a life boat. (from my link earlier)

damn tenacious %^*@#%$!^

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A042J0IDQK4&feature=player_embedded]Ants create a lifeboat in the Amazon jungle - BBC wildlife - YouTube[/ame]

4theBirds

May 28, 2012
Montana
Parrots
4 Budgies, 4 Finches, Bindi (CAG), & Babu (TAG), AND 12 Dachshunds
I lived in San Antonio, TX and had a yard full of them. As much as I tried the home remedies and over the counter insecticides, there was no stopping them...Can you say "Orkin-man, boys and girls? Sure you can!" I'm afraid a professional pest control company may be your only hope. We needed to have them kept at bay. If you didn't have a regular treatment, they were back. LOL

OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
They're pretty easy to take care of in the yard IF you see the mound.......inside around the birds is a different story.

Just went outside and looked after spraying, nothing visible at all, but I'll check again later obviously

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Hey, Wharfrat, I just thought of something. We used to get little black ants in our kitchen in GA. I could never figure out where they were living, but I could see where they were coming in. I dumped little mounds of ground cloves where they were coming in and it kept them out. Apparently ants, little black ones anyway, really really hate cloves.

Might be worth a shot to at least keep them out, if you can't get rid of them.

OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
looking good so far (I take things like this rather personally and I WILL win)

wait a minute.......don't lizards eat ants?!?!? :p :D

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Not this one! :p

I am actually a little ant phobic. When I was two I sat right in a red ant hill and got covered up and bitten a ton. I can still remember squalling in the dirt and then later watching the ants swirl down the drain as my mom showered me off in the tub. She said they were all over me. I guess they didn't appreciate a toddler smashing their home up!

Anyway, that's stuck with me so when I see ants I go right into battle mode. No survivors!

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
Not this one! :p

I am actually a little ant phobic. When I was two I sat right in a red ant hill and got covered up and bitten a ton. I can still remember squalling in the dirt and then later watching the ants swirl down the drain as my mom showered me off in the tub. She said they were all over me. I guess they didn't appreciate a toddler smashing their home up!

Anyway, that's stuck with me so when I see ants I go right into battle mode. No survivors!

omg! i would faint! i remember gym class in the texas! they made us play outside on the grass with fire ants lol! coach would ask why are you not on third base or something..because there are fire ants on it! she would tell us to stand next to them lol. good times... we dont have fire ants in jersey or those wicked stickleberry spur things.

OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Day 3........ NO ANTS!!!!!!!!!!! :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
If you use 'Talstar" around your house and in the yard you won't have ants. It last for about 1yr , but it kills everything. Can't buy it in some areas, or need a permit. I'm surrounded by swamp and saltwater marshes, when it floods they float into my yard as it's the highest/driest thing around. The Talstar is costly but it works, i have to put up the chickens and dogs for a few days till it get watered in well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts