First Adoption

Chrisdilly

Dec 28, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I finally have paid off all the fee's needed in order to get my Yellow Naped Amazon. I have his cage, toys, newspaper, food bowls, in-cage perches, and a PVC perch all setup.

Besides food, is there anything else I will need? The adoption people will be coming when they deliever my YN to do a home inspection and I dont want to fail!

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
Just make sure you have plenty of toys they look for that when they did my home inspection..Also, make sure there are no toxic house plants near the bird area....also they look for fresh fruits and vegetables so that may be a thing to have ready....just some thoughts congrats on your first adoption

OP
Chrisdilly

Chrisdilly

Dec 28, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Awesome! Thank you, this is exactly the information I was looking for!

Anyone else offering tips is happily appreciated!

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Also get rid of candles, air freshners, Teflon pots and pans. Also be careful of anything that is iron with any.rust on it eg patio furniture.

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
If you are going to allow the bird to fly, maybe be prepared to explain how you will ensure the house is safe for him to get around without hitting windows, mirrors etc. Be aware of local vets and have the emergency number handy. Be prepared to describe where the bird will go if you need to be away and you cant take him/her with you, and how you will prepare guests for meeting your bird. I would also suggest being ready to explain how you will deal with various undesirable behaviors such as biting/screaming etc. Im sure you have thought all of this through, but they may ask about it. Lots of people adopt and then give the bird back when things go awry. It will look good to have answers for some of these questions prepared. Im sure all will go well, be sure to post lots of photos and keep us posted on how things go!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Some great suggestions have been posted already, but a big thing many bird owners seem to forget with a new baby is a good emergency plan/setup. It's very important to be able to quickly get your bird out and have ready to go supplies on hand in case of an emergency (and you don't want to procrastinated on that until it's too late). You'll need a small travel cage or animal carrier, several day supply of their regular dry food (seed or pellets), a gallon jug ready to fill with water and an extra lock and key. The cage/carrier can be used for transport to the vet or a safe temporary home for your bird if you ever have to evacuate for a natural disaster. The food, water and extra lock will ensure a little less stress on your bird as well as their safety if the event of a natural disaster ever does occur. We keep Kiwi's emergency setup stored right under his cage, and use a clip to hold the lock on the cage for easy access. If you don't have the room under the cage, store these items nearby. And don't think it could never happen to you, because it can. We have personally had to evacuate once for a forest fire, and being prepared allowed us to quickly get out of the house with enough food and water for the 2 days before we were allowed back as well as a safe shelter for Kiwi during that time. I'm not sure the adoption people will check for this, but it's still a good idea to always be safe rather than sorry.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Kiwibird brings up some great points. I've had to evacuate birds because of fires,floods,power outages,hurricanes,etc. Get them used to a travel cage and have a plan. Hope everything works out, be sure to tell them you have the support of this forum.

Most Reactions

Latest posts