OP
Kelsih11

Kelsih11

Oct 3, 2015
Orange County, CA
That's true too. I've been looking into some rescue groups but most I've found have a statement on their adoption form/site that says they will not adopt any medium to large sized bird to a person who has never owned a bird before (experience doesn't matter)

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
Conures, 2 Red bellied parrots lovebirds.
I wouldn't let her put you off. I had owned one hen lovebird for years before I got another bird, I decided on a Green cheek. The Petco man who was helping me asked what kind of birds I owned and I said a lovebird, he proceeded to go into a tirade about how much more difficult a green cheek was and tried to persuade me to get a budgie/parakeet instead. When in actuality my hen lovebird was much more difficult then the green cheek I ended up getting and bit me a lot harder too.

My thoughts are that you can only learn by experience and you should get the bird you desire (within reason) and not settle for one you'd be less than happy with. I'd go to rescues and meet different types of birds, maybe a different species will catch your eye and capture your heart.

OP
Kelsih11

Kelsih11

Oct 3, 2015
Orange County, CA
I've met some pet store people like that and it is kind of off putting. But you're right. I need to find some rescues in my area that I can visit to see if any other species catches my eye. Anyone know any around Southern California? I've googled and googled but I'm kinda coming up empty

OP
Kelsih11

Kelsih11

Oct 3, 2015
Orange County, CA
So I found a website and they have a bunch of African greys advertised as "free to good home" or "minimal adoption fee". Would getting a bird for free be a bad idea? I'm just thinking of all the other costs associated with keeping the bird happy and healthy. I'm not sure how these people are giving expensive birds away. Other thought was what kind of health issues does this bird have? I've been looking into rescuing an adult bird more and more. Any thoughts/advice?

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Those sites are often scamming sites that take your money and you never hear from them. Unless you can meet them in person, talk to them on the phone, or they have testimonials, I would avoid anything like that. Some rescues do help rehome, but again they generally do a home check and application forms.

lj4rockpebbler

Oct 27, 2014
Media
Hi Kelsih11, I tried responding to your message but found out that I couldn't send you a private message cause I didn't have enough posts I guess. Nonetheless, my regent parrot is the best thing that's come to my family in a long time. That being said, they are not cuddly birds. You can touch them and play with them but you won't be able to caress and scratch them like other birds. As far as putting a harness on the bird so you can take them out of the house, it's not going to happen. This bird will never allow you to open his wing to try and put a harness on it. I've looked at all the how to videos and have even purchased a harness that I had to return cause my guy or any other rock pebbler will not let you put it on. They have sweet voices and will talk but they are considered quiet birds. These are avian birds so they love to fly so my guys wings aren't and will never be clipped. He flies around my apartment and loves it. As far as being ground birds, theyre supposed to be but my guy might try to hit the ground minimally. He does tricks and plays games but again, is not real cuddly. We feed him mostly organic vegetables with certain fruits along with Harrisons pellets and a little bit of seeds being that they're so fatty. Here are the dimensions of the cage I purchased for him on Amazon for about $160 bucks which suits him perfectly. Dimensions: 24 x 37.5 x 22 inches ; 50 pounds. I have a couple of videos on youtube with him being a little chatty, just type in midori uri in the search and you'll get to see a little of him. By the way, my son is in school to become a vet tech as well so good luck moving forward! Anyway, let me know if you get to read this post and if you're able to see the videos. Be well and good luck.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
beautiful cage! what bird did you settle for in the end?

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
Thats the cage I have for my conure. Love it. It's hard to find one that large with the small spacing.

OP
Kelsih11

Kelsih11

Oct 3, 2015
Orange County, CA
beautiful cage! what bird did you settle for in the end?

still waiting on a baby but I am going to a bird fair this weekend so maybe i'll fall in love with a feathered baby then! if not, i have a pretty good size cage so when the time is right, I'll be ready! I couldn't let it sit there at that price!

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
goodluck, and just keep that bar spacing in mind when you go if you dont want to be buying a new-new cage

lj4rockpebbler

Oct 27, 2014
Media
Hi Kelsih11, from all the research I've done and from speaking to his avian vet, I prepare a veggie and fruit mix (Broccoli, butternut squash, peas, carrots, mangos, blueberries and sometimes corn. I chop them up in a blender and freeze about 2 weeks supply that I defrost for him in the mornings. In the afternoon he gets harrisons adult lifetime fine pellets(green label) and at night he gets a bit of a seed mix. Everything i give him is organic and i eat the bad stuff...lol. When I first got him, I was told that the harrison pellets he should have should be the High potency fine(orange label) and after about 6 months then he was switched to the green label. His seed mix should be about 5% of his diet being that they can be very fatty but sometimes I don't always do that being that he loves them so much. As far as toys are concerned, he has tons of them but doesn't play with them as much. His wings are not clipped so he spends his time following my wife, son or I around the house. I will recommend a rope perch for him to sleep with just so that he has more comfort when he sleeps but have different size perches in the cage which is recommended for good feet health. Rock pebblers are prone to having problems with their feet and sometimes eyes. Anyway, that's all I have for you but reach out whenever you want and I'll help as best as i can. If you go to youtube and type in rock pebbler midori, you'll see a few videos of him. Anyway....good luck!

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
How exciting. Do you have photos of the new baby?

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Hi and welcome to the forum I wish you Best of Luck with your new baby Rock Pebbler and in your career too :)

Last edited:
OP
Kelsih11

Kelsih11

Oct 3, 2015
Orange County, CA
He's here! We picked him up on Saturday, which was his 12 week mark. Saturday was a long day and yesterday we started bonding, so here is a picture from this morning! Meet Lil Pete! He is so clumsy and ridiculous the named seemed to fit :D He chatters away and loves attentions and pets. We are working on the nipping and the flapping, and we've made a lot of progress since Saturday.:green1: I've waited a year for him, and he was well worth the wait!

Attachments

• Lil Pete.jpg
    Lil Pete.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 233

Most Reactions

Latest posts