First day home, Lots of love or lots of space?

AnnBrown

Sep 28, 2015
Southern Louisiana
Parrots
Razberry, Galah (rose breasted) Cockatoo
Celine, sun conure
Ok so in the past I have always given my birds "a day off" the first day that they were in the house. not really handling them, I would sit by the cage and offer a treat or two while talking calmly. But also in the past they have all been rescues or fosters. So i'm not sure what our plan should be with Raspberry (aka Raz) I would be ok playing it by ear and seeing how she is acting when we get home and she comes out of her travel carrier but I have two kids who are going to be super excited to have her home! And I need to prepare them or plan for them to just not be here that day so she can have a day of quite to feel out the space. What do ya'll think? Day off or normal day?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Depends on the bird, and how stressed he/she is.

Personally, I always try to handle them right away, show them around, etc. unless they're stressed, and scared, and needing some quiet time.

Most birds suck up attention... and that sets the tone for the relationship with the bird from the moment they walk in the door.

Or in Kiwi's case, riding home from the airport, pressed up against my face.

OP
AnnBrown

AnnBrown

Sep 28, 2015
Southern Louisiana
Parrots
Celine, sun conure
:) Ok. I have her cage all ready and her play stand is coming in today. So we can def play it by ear and just see how she is. I may try to bring her home while the boys are still at school so she has a little time to relax before mayhem comes threw the door! :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, mayhem is a train the humans thing... not a bird issue.

"Not too fast, or you're gonna spook him, and he's liable to bite you."

"Wait and see how he reacts before you put your fingers up there..."

You know the drill...

My daughter was big on sleepovers at that age. Everyone got a bird handling lesson first. It cut down on human/avian conflicts. :D

OP
AnnBrown

AnnBrown

Sep 28, 2015
Southern Louisiana
Parrots
Celine, sun conure
We have been discussing "dos and donts" and I also made each of them read several books on parrots over the last few weeks. For 7 and 6 they are very good at staying calm around the bird. the "mayhem" is more of just excitement. they have been around large birds there entire life.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
We have been discussing "dos and donts" and I also made each of them read several books on parrots over the last few weeks. For 7 and 6 they are very good at staying calm around the bird. the "mayhem" is more of just excitement. they have been around large birds there entire life.

Yeah, it really does become second nature to them. My daughter was the same way. She used to give the speech to her little friends, and teach them...

Half of all bird training, is actually train the humans.

Half the people out there trigger their own bites/bad behaviors.

Eliminate that, then most of the bad stuff is already taken care of, and the rest is just basic training.

Most Reactions